1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

PDF writeups

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by schmuckaholic, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Some of you have noticed that the site I was hosting all those PDFs at has gone bye-bye. Here's what I know; first there was a "temporarily down" page, then that evaporated, now there's a parking page with a Phoenix phone number on it that says "call us if this is your site". A bit of googling finally revealed that the free hosting outfit (Ripside Interactive, parent company of FileAve.com) had the plug pulled on their internet connection by their upstream provider. Seems people were complaing about all the trojans and malware the site was hosting.

So, for now at least, I've created hosting accounts at two more sites: 4Shared and FileDen. They don't come with subdomains, so one can't just bring up the site in a browser and see what's there. They also have their drawbacks; FileDen restricts download speeds, (because it's a free account, and I'm cheap) and 4Shared has ads, although I grabbed some direct links that will hopefully get around that.

With that, I'm posting the links to both sites. Let me know if there are any issues.

4Shared.com:

Choosing a Sight Glass
    Clean and lube the ignition switch
    The Art of Crimping
    Installing Dyna Coils
    Care and Feeding of your gas cap
    Breakdown of the 750J gauge cluster
    Battery Sensor Bypass
    YICS tool
    Replacing the Hitachi Throttle Shaft Seals
    Maxim X Coolant Flush
    Cleaning the Mikuni Carbs
    Setting your fuel levels
    Spinon kit installation
    Stainless Steel brake line install
    Replacing the front wheel bearings
    Inside your carbs
    Turbo gas cap rebuild

You can also go to xj4ever.com and grab them from there.

Edit 8-13-13: I've removed all files from and links to FileDen; they got bought out by some outfit called CX, which wanted all FileDen users to migrate over after FileDen suffered an outage. I didn't like the ToS (which wanted me to give them a "non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use and reproduce the User Data"), so I told them to go pound sand.

XJ4Ever.com should be the first place to go for downloading the writeups; anything else is there for redundancy.

Edited 4-2-12 to add links
    Edited 8-13-13 to remove FileDen links

Franz and wgul like this.
  2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Some Internet Service Providers and most Cable Company's offer you "Personal Space" on their Servers for Personal Web Sites and Storage as part of the Boilerplate Agreement when you become their customer.

With VERIZON, ... I get 10 MB for free.
    And, ... as you would expect ... need more space?
    They have a deal for you!

(( The following is copied from VERIZON. Appears here as INFORMATION Only. Following text Illustrates options available from ISP's & CATV Providers. ))

Buy Personal Web Space
    You've created a site to share your interests and hobbies with the world but you need room to grow. Perhaps you want to add photos of your latest family gathering, or a video of that vacation you went on. Get the additional space you need here.

Your Verizon Online account comes with 10 MB of free Personal Web Space. Now you can add up to 500 MB for a maximum of 510 MB of Personal Web Space.

Choose from one of the following options:
    10 MB - Default Personal Web Space Storage
    Currently using 0 MB (0%)
    No charge with FTTP service
    60 MB Personal Web Space Storage (10 plus addl 50 MB)
    Only $ 4.95 per month
    110 MB Personal Web Space Storage (10 plus addl 100 MB)
    Only $ 6.95 per month
    510 MB Personal Web Space Storage (10 plus addl 500 MB)
    Only $ 9.95 per month
    Cancel

3. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I use Godaddy.com for my website and blog.

I pay $11.99 a year for my domain name and $4.99 a month for a 5 page website with storage.

I don't remember off the top of my head how many MB storage is included.

4. schmuckaholic

True. Cox's "Personal Webspace" has 20MB of space available, with a 300MB transfer limit per month. Problem is, the files I had up on FileAve had pretty much already surpassed that, and I easily exceeded that bandwidth limit on a regular basis. It got worse when the search spiders found the site and started indexing -- one month it shot up to about 800MB or so, with the cap on that free account being 1GB. I had to upload a small text file to get the search spiders to leave it alone.

Added to this is the fact that the internet account is not in my name -- I rent a room from the house owner. I could, in theory, hook up a small server box to the network, but they frown on running servers on residential connections.

I've not heard good things about GoDaddy, at least as far as transferring domain names to other providers.

Len has webspace up that he's not using; I've suggested using it before, and mentioned it again when we spoke earlier today. He's going to make a few calls and see if we can do anything with that. If so, we'll need a web geek or two. :)

5. redsix

redsix Member

Thanks for the list!!

6. splazoid

splazoid Member

Why don't you simply use google documents with public viewing settings, but not public editing? Would be really easy, no chance of the host closing down, and no ads etc.

7. schmuckaholic

I had issues with the TOS. I distrust anyone who says that by using their service I give them a "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute" things.

8. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

schmuck, I'm having a problem getting the links to work, maybe it's just something I'm not doing right, but:

The 4shared links just bring up a small jpeg of the article, and I mean small, about an inch square.

Every link for the fileden come up with this:
    You don't have permission to access /files/2011/11/10/3222980/clean and lube the ignition switch.pdf on this server.
    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.fileden.com Port 80

And I think you should go to creativecommons.org and get your material copyrighted.

Creative Commons copyright allows others to post your work under certain conditions. i.e. credit it as your work, non-monetary gain, etc.

That's what I use for my photos and blog.

9. schmuckaholic

(sigh)

Well, it *was* working... I think. I was getting traffic throughput on the 4shared account, so I was under the impression that there were downloads happening.

Let me see what I can figure out...

10. splazoid

splazoid Member

I definitely understand what you are referring to.

Unless you have copy-written works that you intend to publish, shouldn't useful information like this be open source anyway??

By posting them on the web in any capacity, uncopywritten, you give the entire internet the same access to use, distribute etc. anyway.

Simply put, it makes a ton more sense to use a document hosting service to host your documents, instead of using an unreliable and sketchy file host like 4shared.

11. schmuckaholic

Okay, FileDen is supposedly working on some upgrades. They say it should be done within a few days, although "most users" should get access to their account profiles sooner.

re: 4shared. Remember how I said at the top that I hoped getting the direct links would get around the ads? Well, that didn't work so well, so I had to use their shared links. You get the ads, and their begging to sign up for a premium account so you don't have to wait for 20 seconds to start the download. I did a successful test download, so try those.

When I started doing this, I took Len's installation instructions and added pictures -- he had the copyright notice at the bottom of his sheet. I left it there. You might consider getting together with Len on this and seeing what he thinks.

12. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Technically, by uploading the PDF you are publishing them. You are just doing it electronically instead of in print form.

I agree they should be open source, BUT:

By posting them to the web copywrighted you are giving the entire internet access to read them.

If they are uncopywrighted people can do with them whatever they want. Such as pass them off as theirs, add false or mileading information, use it to make money promoting a product,etc. I wouldn't want my name, or anyone else's, to be used for something like that.

By using a Creative Commons license (which is free btw) you can give people permission to use, distribute, post, host, print off, etc. legally

Depending on the type of license the next party could either modify (say, if they had a better picture of something, for example) or not modify (since these are actually promoting a product Len sells, he might not want the pics changed)

And the next party in line would also have to publish the item with the same license so that you are still protected when they re-distribute.

By no means do I think that a copywright stops bad people from doing bad things. It is meant to protect the rights of the publisher.

That's why google docs has that TOS, so that they can do whatever they want to with YOUR document.

13. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Schmuck, I'll have to email Len and see what he thinks. If we come up with something agreeable between the three of us, I might be able to host the files on my site. But I would only do that if you guys have them copyrighted so you get proper credit. I'll have to check into that and see what I can come up with.

14. schmuckaholic

Quick update:

We needed something, so despite the fact that I can't design web pages to save my life, I hacked something together. It looks like hell, but at least the links work.

Head over to xj4ever.com for your downloading goodness.

15. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Very nice, schmuck, I don't think it looks bad.
    But the XJbikes.com logo doesn't point to the right place....
    It points to:
    www.xj4ever.com/www.xjbikes.com

You get a 404 error when you click on it.

How much space is available? I was thinking maybe we could get Fitz to convert his write-ups to .pdf and park them there?

Would be nice to have all these in one spot for the newbies, since they probably don't have them bookmarked like some of us.

16. schmuckaholic

Yeah, I saw that. Thought I had fixed it earlier, but it seems to work now. Like I said, I'm no web designer.

Not a clue, I'm afraid. As for Fitz's writeups, I had already done that with one, and had tried to do a second; he said he wanted to get back to me on some edits, and never did (citing lack of time).

17. schmuckaholic

UPDATE:

Two more writeups have been posted to the xj4ever.com site. One is my own take on changing wheel bearings (front wheel as opposed to the rear). The second is an illustrated view of the internal passages of a Hitachi carb, with "helpful" captions and colored lines to indicate air and fuel flow.

See what you think.

18. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

That poor carb died for the greater good of XJ Knowledge

19. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

The 4Shared.com site sucks. Why because they want you to sign up for a download fee and if you don't they screw you around on the download.
    Fileden.com is great you go there and just download what you need.

20. splazoid

splazoid Member

Considering sites like megaupload have been stomped recently, I'm surprised any of these file hosting sites are used for XJ PDF's. Why not host them on XJ4ever.com for public viewing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.