1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petcock Vacuum

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jerrod Robinson, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Yep, it’s not so much the screw needs adjustment, it probably does but until you remove it you can’t properly clean the idle circuit there. If you take care you should be able to drill into the screw and try a screw extractor.

2. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I was able to free it up last weekend with a Propane torch. And just did the adjustment myself. It will idle all day now, without any Choke. But still no power at high RPM. I'm almost positive my valve spring's are worn and their floating at high RPM.

3. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

It feels like it has no compression above like 4k. Has no trouble reving, just doesn't accelerate it's a really weird feeling.

4. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Only problem I'm having now is finding a set of Valve springs. Guy's have like 1 or 2 for sale on eBay. But it's starting to look like I'm gonna have to buy a Head to get a whole set.

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I would hold off on the head purchase, make certain the carbs are fully sorted.
    This you will have to do yourself or send them to a trust worthy source like @hogfiddles
    After that you need to verify the fuel level in the bowls with a wet set.
    Next is a running sync, small adjustments can make a big difference.

The valve train in these XJ's is good for 10,000 RPM +, you won't see valve float until you're beyond that.

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Are all 4 pipes hot at idle?

7. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Yeah, it's fireing on all 4. It pass's the Ear test. Rev is very responsive and quick. And it doesn't hang at all since I tuned the Carbs. It sounds great. While riding, it has good power down low. But once above 4 or 5k power just disappears. The motor is not struggling though. It's reving normally, you just don't accelerate if that makes sense. It feels really weird.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

check your jets location fuel and air.
    are your emulsion tubes clogged.
    sounds like the carbs need to be cleaned. cant count on him having done it correctly

9. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

All of the issue's at Idle have been sorted. And I have an even build up on all 4 plugs now, slightly dark but acceptable considering I've never tuned Carbs before lol. It will sit at idle all day.

10. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

But the drop in Power at Higher RPM has not changed at all. I read that your valve springs can get worn out, and it will Cause float at lower RPM then normal. I'm not positive this is my problem, but it's my main suspect at this point.

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Forget your valve springs, listen to @Simmy..
    Carbs

Franz and Huntchuks like this.
  12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Is your clutch slipping?

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

put a number on "higher rpm" same in all gears?

14. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Mine has well over 100K on it and I knew one with over 300K up, neither of them suffered from valve float.

15. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

The guy I bought this bike from roached the original Motor by downshifting to 1st on the highway I guess. Not sure how you do that, but that's what he said. The current engine is from a wrecked bike he bought as a parts bike. And he apparently has never had it running with this motor in it. I gave next to nothing for it though
    Reasonable suggestion, but i don't think so. It's hard to explain, best description is it feels like it looses compression above 5k. The Rev sounds normal, but there's just nothing there.
    From around 5K till I get out of it probably around 8 or 9K. And yes it starts at the same point in every Gear. It seriously feels like I loose all Compression above 5K, and it just stops pulling all together.

16. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Im sure, but i think we can all agree that 2 of the exact same engine's can end up in very different condition 40 year's after they rolled out of the Factory.

17. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I could definitely be Wrong about this, but after learning the symptom's of Valve float it has become my primary Suspect. It's just too close to ignore. But I have no issue putting it on the back burner to insure I've covered every possiblity.

18. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Compression can't dissapear, valve float sounds horrible, like a million hammers banging away in the headunmistakable. You have an issue with your carbs - or the tci, forget valve fl

k-moe likes this.
  19. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

My point being, that age and normal wear and tear don't seem to affect Yammy valve springs much.
    If the PO had over-revved it enough to damage the springs, all the valves would be quite well bent or trying for freedom out the top of the head.
    What you might have is a few slightly bent valves, but if your compression is ok, it's not really likely.

20. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Okay, that's a relief cause I didn't wanna pull the Head apart again. It's funny that you mentioned TCI because I lost Spark the night before last. The Bike came with a box of Parts that included a Stator. I installed it with no change. I ordered Coil's and they will be here on the 24th.