1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pine Sol Carb Soak?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by spacetiger110, Mar 20, 2019.

1. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I was searching for opinions on Berryman's carb dip vs Gunk's and I ended up on this thread. Anybody ever tried this or know anything about it? Seems a lot easier than splitting the rack and claims to not damage any plastic or rubber.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

It is best to do a full tear down and replace the butterfly seals period . Pine sol will also damage rubber seals .

spacetiger110 likes this.
  3. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Anything that will dissolve varnish from gasoline will damage rubber. How long you leave it in contact determines how much damage is done. For light varnish, Berryman's 12 spray will work without dunking the whole thing. You can use ultrasonic cleaning with water and mild detergent to remove most soils but it may not do much on thick varnish. Typically you can get by with removing the jets and letting them soak, with the bowl, float, seat/needle, instead of the entire carb assembly. Be careful with seats/needles since most use either a rubber tip or a rubber o-ring to seal.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would rather break the rack so I can replace the o rings on the fuel rail, and the throttle shaft seals. then it will be good for another 30 years

you may clean the gunk off that keeps theo rings and seals from leaking

spacetiger110 and Timbox like this.
  5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Yes, it should be done completely or not at all for a full repair. If it's a sticky slide or one clogged jet there is no point in tearing it all into pieces when you can get by with a jet drill assortment and some spray cleaner.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If it comes down to tearing into one, they all get it IMHO. If you are there might just as well do it right the first time, take the guess work out of the equation later on down the road.

k-moe and spacetiger110 like this.
  7. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Right now, the only issue I'm having is a sticky (or possibly bent) float bowl causing overflow into the air box. I know I should break it all apart and give everything a proper cleaning, but right now I have other issues the money for new seals and orings could be spent addressing so I figured I'd see what you guys thought.

That's a really good point. I hadn't considered that.

8. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

boil the carb bodies and that will remove the varnish. Then you can blow it out with carb cleaner and air and it should be good as far as varnish goes.

9. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I've never boiled a carb in water, mostly because of hard water. What do you remove before you boil it and do you use RODI water or what?

10. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

use what ever water you drink. It is mainly to heat the carbs and melt the varnish. I took the slides out--did not boil them-- all the jets, needles, etc and boiled all the metal parts. I did not separate the rack so the o-rings there got boiled with no effect at all. It would be ok to add a couple of drops or more of dish washing soap, but I didn't. Just be sure to blow the carbs out with carb cleaner and then air.