1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

REAR WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT: How-To w/Pics

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by bigfitz52, Dec 28, 2011.

1. RusteeGold

RusteeGold Active Member

Ok. So I was able to replace 3 bearings in my rear wheel yesterday. The 2 bearings that go on the left side were tight and I used the old bearing and a socket to drift them in. However, the right bearing was not tight. In fact it dropped right in. I expected it to be tight buut it wasn't. Should it be that easy to fit into the right side?

Thanks
    Rustee
    1982 XJ750

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Is there any slop, or is it a nice slip-fit like you'd see on a rifle bolt?

3. RusteeGold

RusteeGold Active Member

It's a little looser than a rifle bolt. But just a little. It's not sloppy, but it's not quite snug. The old bearing fit the same way. I thought about making a shim from a soda can to put between the bearing and the hub but the soda can was way too thick. If I were to guess... there might be a gap of .002 or less.

My big concern was when I was watching youtube, all the examples (for other bikes - not the Seca) showed that those wheel bearings had interference fittings.

4. k-moe

It is supposed to be a press fit, but that can be worked around.
    Locktite Bearing Retaining Compound. Get you some.
    If there is more slop than the retaining compound can deal with (it sounds like you're fine), then cut a soda can to use as shim stock in addition to the retaining compound.

5. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Saw that. Could use a bit of context, though. Perhaps something along the lines of "I thought this needed a post of its own rather than being buried in a thread" sort of thing.

As for the origins of this thread, has anyone seen or heard from Fitz? I seem to remember he said a while back that his new job wasn't exactly conducive to letting him poke around here at work, and even before that he was rather busy.

6. RusteeGold

RusteeGold Active Member

K-moe,

Thanks for the locktite top. I did a quick look on Amazon and there are many versions of bearing compound. Which one should I use?

Thanks,
    Rustee

7. Michael R

Michael R Member

Am I correct in assuming the annular/Conrad bearings are old school and are to be replaced with sealed bearings?

8. k-moe

The bearings were sealed to begin with. The bikes aren't quite that old.

9. Michael R

Michael R Member

What I meant was - with the wheels off, I can see one set of bearings in which the rollers (balls) are visible in the bearing housing. I was thinking that these are now replaced by bearings that have the built in dust covers, if that makes sense.

10. Brenden

Brenden New Member

Great instructions! I am however a little stumped about the ‘new’ smaller flange for the
    spacer tube. The old flange, which had a larger OD was captive in between its land and the RHS bearing. I understand that and this system apppears to be the way the spacer tube stays aligned with the two bearings. But with this newer, smaller OD flange that is also pushed on further to ‘clear the land’, what is it’s purpose? I don’t see how this flange does anything because the OD is also smaller that the ID of the wheel and also doesn’t touch the RHS bearing anymore. Hopefully I haven’t missed something obvious but....