1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Restoration tips 82 Seca 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eigenseca, Jul 27, 2018.

1. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a 1982 Seca 750, it had been sitting for 11 years with 9k miles on it. When I got the bike it was seized from corrosion but it wasn't to badly seized. Changed the oil and soaked the cylinders with wd 40, 769 lubricant and penetrant, transmission fluid and pb blaster(in that order). After letting the wd 40 soak for a day it was already kinda freeing up by rotating the rear tire in 5th gear. After another good soaking for another day it was officially freed up by the starter. Checked compression and got 150, 160, 180, 180. I realize that the tolerances are a bit off from each other but none the less thats decent compression, could be some error considering there may have still been some oil down in those cylinders. Got it to fire up on ether after that. I've currently got the carbs and gas tank pulled off, gonna clean them both in a couple days. I was wanting to get some feedback for what some good maintenance items would be, I know the brakes need to be serviced for sure. If anyone has any tips let me know!

on a side not, where can I get valve shims? thanks!

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Talk to @hogfiddles there is a shim pool or if there is a bmw car dealer near you they also use a 29mm shim in many models and bmw “K” bikes.

eigenseca likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Homework links in my signture.
    Welcome aboard.

eigenseca likes this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome you state brakes need going thru , one item check your brake hoses date if they show 80 thru 83 date replace them , I recommend braided steel lines. On the upper right corner of the page is xj4ever email or IM message chacal his service is fantastic. Another item pull the back wheel and check back brakes . A bike that has been sitting for a period of time will need some attention, keep us informed of your progress. I looked at your avatar that is a Maxim you state you have a Seca or was that just another bike you own ?

eigenseca likes this.
  5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

The rear brakes are a huge safety issue! The shoes are known to delaminate with catastrophic result. Check and replace if needed

eigenseca likes this.
  6. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Thanks everyone for the information, all very useful!

The bike in my avatar is the bike, that was actually one of the things I was wondering about because the insurance papers that came with the bike stated it was an 82 Seca 750, but it has the body style of a maxim. The bike came with a lot of spare parts and some side covers with "Seca 750" on it that don't fit this bike so maybe the last owner had a Seca 750 for parts and that's the insurance papers for it. Is their a place you can check the vin number for free to see what it says?

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

TECH TOPIC: Model ID and VIN's

You have a Maxim.
    It could be that the info for the model name on the title was entered incorrectly (happens all the time). Check the engine stamping, the stamping on the right side of the headstock (where the forks bolt up to the frame), and the sticker on the left side of the headstock.

All numbers should match, but the important one is the stamping on the right side of the headstock as that's the official frame VIN. The full VIN is on the sticker, and coould be what is on the title, but the short VIN may be on the title, as is the case with my Seca. 1982 was one of the transition years for having a long VIN.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  8. wgul

wgul Active Member

That’s sweet getting those numbers having it been first seized. Congrats !

9. eigenseca

eigenseca Member

Pulled the numbers from it when I got off work, it is indeed a 750 maxim.

I know I was really anxious about it!

k-moe likes this.