1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rubber intake boots

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by NZ-XJ550-Cafe, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NZ-XJ550-Cafe

NZ-XJ550-Cafe New Member

hi I need to replace the intake boots (carbs to head) on my 1980 XJ650, anyone know if some 81 XJ550 maxim boots will fit? I found some for a good price but unsure on the fit/diameter

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They will not.

You can repair the existing intake boots. The following is how we fixed them back when none were available, and can be considered a permanent repair.

This is to be done with the boots in place in order to avoid needing to deal with the inevetable broken mounting bolts.
    1. Thoroughly scrub the boots, including into the cracks (a water-based degreaser helps).
    2. Thoroughly dry the boots.
    3. Using a black oil-resistant RTV: Using a gloved hand; work the RTV into any cracks, and run a full coat on the outside of the boots.
    4. Finishing the repair so it looks decent. There are three options.
    A. Using a wetted, gloved finger, smooth the RTV.
    or
    B. Cut an old (or new if you must) bicycle innertube to fit over the intake boot before the RTV cures.
    or
    C. After the RTV cures, use precut lengths of electrical shrink-insulation to cover the boots. Use a paper punch to make a hole for the vacuum ports to stick through.

If you really want new boots, and don't mind the extra expense of shipping, start a conversation with Chacal.

Jetfixer and LeClairerog like this.
  3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We have them in stock!

Jetfixer likes this.