1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Running 1982 XJ650 barn find

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by William Thompson, Jun 23, 2022.

1. William Thompson

William Thompson Active Member

Just picked up a barn find. It's mostly original but with a handful of things to do on it. Front brakes are non-existent, still has an original fuse box, a few odds and ends missing (bolts odds and ends, nothing big), no battery, and the bike locks are mismatched/missing. Ignition is from "some other bike", gas cap has a picked lock, helmet/seat lock is just gone. The locking chain is still there. Seller let me listen to it run and shift through all the gears. Fired right up when jumped. I discretely felt the engine before to make sure it wasn't pre-warmed.

If anyone has a lock set (ignition/gascap/helmet-seat/chain with key) they want to sell, hit me up. Otherwise I'll head to Ebay.

Gas tank looks nice inside and just had one dent on it. Side covers are pretty eh... But still there. Anyone have any experience repainting them? Bike still has its original exhaust, with no holes.

Also this has no title, but it's never been titled in my state of PA. TO VERMONT I GO.

k-moe likes this.
  2. William Thompson

Some pictures, of course. 20220623_143904.jpg 20220623_143909.jpg 20220623_143914.jpg 20220623_143926.jpg 20220623_144014.jpg

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  3. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

Doesn't look too bad. Miles?

4. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've refinished quite a few - not really any more difficult or easy than any other paint job. Are the side covers in good shape? Cracks? Missing tabs or pegs?

The three most important things for a good paint job are: 1. Prep. 2. Prep. 3. Prep.

5. William Thompson

About 18,500

I haven't had time to pull them off to look yet for damage. They look scuffed so the jury is out on what they look like underneath. Didn't notice any cracks though. I'm pretty happy with "present" so far. For painting, any recommendations on type of paint to get it looking nice? I imagine the job looks like 1. Remove badging. 2. sand to plastic. 3. Many layers of an appropriate paint. Step three is where I'm unsure. Specifically what paint to get.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

18,500 miles that is nothing for an XJ.

7. William Thompson

Yeah I was pretty happy with that number. From what the seller said this is a legitimate, found in a barn, barn find. I was expecting a mess in the gas tank but it actually looks really clean. The seller said he spent some time getting it tuned and I believe it. When he started it up for me, 75-80 degrees out, engine cold, it fired to life without the choke and idled great.

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice find. One thing you should do is change the fuse box if it is the original one. Better with a blade type fuse box, the original Yamaha ones the clips break. Most people here fit the blade fuse boxes.

9. William Thompson

Yeah, I've got one on my shelf from a parts bike I tore down, I'm not sure what condition it's in because I was drinking in the garage when I took it off. I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if it's serviceable or if I need a new one.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That barn looks weird. No cows to be seen.

12. William Thompson

I legitimately got stuck behind a piece of farm equipment moving at 5 MPH, and passed a herd of cows sleeping in a field on my way to pick it up. That's rural Ohio for you.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Dan Gardner

That's a pandora's box. Of course it is one of those things where the sky is the limit.

Hopefully somebody has a good idea what to use as an affordable option to paint a couple side covers. (Tank too?)

Otherwise, you need to invest in a "system" like House of Kolor or PPG or something like that.

The exact process will vary a little by the paint system, but generally look something like:
    Sand smooth (not necessarily to bare plastic)
    Primer/Sand, repeat as needed until smooth (get to at least P600)
    Basecoat
    Clearcoat
    Sand (P1000, P2000)
    Buff

14. William Thompson

The side covers are largely all intact. The one has a crack that circles a portion of the clip portion. No posts are broken off. That crack can flex open. If I can find a suitable glue I should be able to fix that. Any recommendations from anyone? Otherwise I'll probably just go with a gel superglue

20220625_230542.jpg 20220625_230554.jpg 20220625_230601.jpg

The fuse block I thought I might be able to use is intact, but looks like junk and is missing its cover. For what they cost I'm just going to procure a new one.
    20220625_230631.jpg

15. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

You can try gel super glue in the crack but later I would apply epoxy over the inside area of the crack . Before epoxy I would add strength by embedding paperclip parts into the plastic from the backside (heat to red hot and melt into plastic), spanning the crack in several places. Be careful of going too deep.

16. Dan Gardner

William Thompson likes this.
  17. William Thompson

18. k-moe

Clean the ABS, use a soldering ron to melt it back together, or make an ABS slurrry with acetone and shavings from an ABS pipe fitting.

19. k-moe

William Thompson likes this.
  20. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

I use enamel spray paint with rubbing alcohol prep. 4 coats of color and 3 coats of clear. Once it's dried a couple of days, sand with 1000, 2,000, 2,500, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound, wait a week and wax it. IMG_20220608_154916.jpg

k-moe and William Thompson like this.