1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seat fit

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Tim Dempsey, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Tim Dempsey

Tim Dempsey New Member

Has anyone replaced the factory seat with one from another bike or any aftermarket? I have an ‘86 xj700 Maxim X and although it’s a comfy seat on there, I want to make it not look like a touring bike seat….

2. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I bought a Sportster seat for my '82 Maxim 750 comes pretty close for the general fit but mounts would have to be made.
    It's a comfortable seat and not too bad looking def. not touring style. Never did use it went with an R1 seat, way different.
    Cheers, 50gary

3. joshofthefall

joshofthefall New Member

Can't speak from first person experience (yet), but I stumbled across this video recently.

Seems fairly straightforward to do. I'm planning on doing something similar, though I wound up getting an '03 V-Star 650 seat since I found one on ebay and realized it had a tab at the bottom front, so one less thing to have to fab myself. Will have to make a thread once I get it all situated... though that's going to be a domino effect so I'm making sure I've got a rear fender, taillight, etc., solution ready to go at the same time before it sits disassembled while I figure things out. :)