1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted Seca 550 Starter End "Cap"

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by ralden96, Oct 24, 2021.

1. ralden96

ralden96 Member

Hoping someone here can help. Working on an 81 Seca 550. At some time in its past the starter took some damage, specifically to the "cap" where it mounts on the left side of the bike. One of the tabs has been broken off. Any chance someone has a non-functional starter that they would be willing to break up? Parts diagrams do not show it being available as a separate piece. I believe this silver starter is only used on the Seca and Maxim 550 models. Picture shows the piece I need. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Looks like those starters are a bit of a rare bird.

If nobody here has one they are willing to part with, then next option is to keep and eye on eBay and hope something shows up, which I suspect you have already done.

Another option, not for the faint of heart, requires a lot of sweat equity, is to keep an eye out for a parts bike. If you do it right you can get your starter and maybe a spare motor for little or nothing. If you can find a rough shape 550 Seca or Maxim with some good parts on it, all you gotta do is buy it for less than or equal to the money parts that you can sell relatively easily.

The list of money parts and their values varies by model, but generally speaking fuel tanks, side panels, and carbs are the money parts.

So for example, if you find a basket case 550 Maxim that at least has the starter, tank in serviceable condition, and carbs in serviceable condition, and can get it for $250, then you should be able to flip the carbs for at least $150, and the tank for at least $100, coming out net zero cost for everything you have left, including the starter.

There are plenty of basket case Maxims out there - amazing how many people abandon bobber projects.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:fa189542-0183-49a7-8c2d-fc1c0daf53f2
    Pretty much a basket case Maxim, but if I needed the starter I would throw an offer for $250, maybe get it for $325. Carbs, airbox, tank, maybe exhaust, could pretty easily cover that. Maybe some other good stuff on there - forks, electrical bits. Keep the starter, maybe the engine, and you're good.

Just an idea...

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You can widen your search on eBay to include the 600's - Radian, FJ600, FZ600
    They are black but you can easily spray it silver.

4. ralden96

ralden96 Member

Appreciate the input