1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Sizzle and frying sound when starting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by EagleLakeWood, Oct 4, 2018.

1. EagleLakeWood

EagleLakeWood New Member

1982 XJ650 Seca
    I'm making custom side covers and I wanted to set things back a little bit from the frame, so I relocated the solenoid and mounted the ignition components to the air box.

The solenoid was connected to the battery with that bar. Attached is a picture of how I have the solenoid connected to a short wire pigtail.

The bike was running before all this (and a few other things I did up at the bars), but now I get an awful sizzling electrical sound when I press the start button.

I ordered a new solenoid and it didn't help. The kill switch relay is working. I get voltage to the solenoid. Jumping the terminals on the solenoid makes the same awful sound. The frying electrical sound seems to be coming from near the Coils. The starter motor does not turn over.

Any tips on where to start looking?

Attached Files:

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

sounds like the heavy duty lead from the starter relay to the starter motor is grounding out somewhere.
    stu

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The bar was capable of carrying much more current than what you have. You will need to replace the pigtail wire that you have that looks to be about 12 gauge with a 6 gauge wire. The pigtail even appears to be a bit burnt near the battery. There may be more issues as bensalf suggested, but I would start by getting the solenoid supply wire corrected.

Stumplifter likes this.
  4. EagleLakeWood

EagleLakeWood New Member

Thank you sir. I'll fit a 6 gauge wire and see how it goes. The current wire is likely 10 gauge and the black is paint overspray from painting the frame, but your point is definitely valid and I'll give it a shot.