1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So this is one of the New Yamaha Triples: The FZ-09

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by xHondaHack, Jun 27, 2013.

1. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

oh hell yeah i'd ride one

3. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

not a real big fan of the headlight, but oh well

4. aSECAwrencher

aSECAwrencher Member

I think I'll wait until 2015. Never know what else they're gonna stick that mill into...

5. xHondaHack

I know, some of the styling would take some getting used to. But it's 414 lbs. wet, and has 113 HP with 65 lb/ft torque.

All for just $7990 in the US. Also known as the MT-09 on the other side of the pond, but not sure what the pricing is there?

Here's a quick video of one running:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... jdd90&NR=1

Has a quick revving sport bike type sound, but I'd like to hear one with a more throaty exhaust.

6. xHondaHack

There's talk about the new R1 being developed with a version of the triple.

We shall see.......

7. Erman

Erman Member

I'm very inclined to getting this one since the Bolt didn't make it to Europe this year. Cheaper than the XJR 2013, and maybe even more fun :p

Price over the pond:
    6799 £ in Britain (excluding road tax and registration fee)
    7495 € in Germany (excluding road tax and registration fee)

No prices for Scandinavia yet, but I'm guessing $ 20k ready to ride.

8. xHondaHack

Here's an updated short video of one running:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47rytD8aB8

Still waiting on one that ditches the stock muffler.....

9. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

I often consider a new bike,but there is no way I'd expect my wife to sit on that seat for any period of time.
    I want a bike that will carry a pillion and I comfortably with good power and reasonably sporty handling preferably a standard but no everything looks like a transformer or a ginormous luxo barge.
    I don't necessarily want a 1 litre bike a 750ish bike would suit with a good torque spread,god knows my licence and willpower do not need a speed machine.
    They don't seem to make them anymore,I suspect because there aren't enough people with my tastes to buy enough of them mainly because we just buy the one and keep it for a very long time.

10. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

That engine sounds nice, but it's still another robot in disguise. They must be giving up simplicity for weight, as that thing looks like such a puzzle to work on. You likely need to go to Hamamatsu to learn how to change the oil.

Imaing that bike with a nice big round headlight and more standard tank... wth is up with that read signal/tail-light mount too?

11. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    As I understand it the tail light/turn signals are set up like that so that they may be easily unplugged and removed for track days. I do like the idea of this bike but agree the "styling" is not to my taste. Too much Transformer-ish. Pretty surprised that it is $900 less than the FZ8 it replaces, does that 4th cylinder really cost that much? The FZ8 is/was a very nice bike to ride but I always wondered why they rated it at only 39 miles to the gallon? Should it's relatively light weight and fuel injection not make it better? I have an '06 Kawasaki Concours that is 200 pounds heavier and carburated and gets high 40's to 50's on the interstate. I don't understand.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's one of the other major irritating factors with a lot of new bikes: fuel economy.

Or should I say, lack thereof.

My 30+ year old XJ550Rs get between 52 ~ 56 MPG with their 8-valve, aircooled, carbureted motors.

The new 600cc FZ6R with its 16-valve, liquid cooled, computer controlled fuel injected motor is RATED at 43 MPG.

I don't get it. Sure, the new bike is faster (even though it's slightly heavier.) It's sure not more ergonomic (comfortable.) I think priorities have become fuddled in the search for looks and performance.

13. xHondaHack

Definitely not a bike for two up riding or touring, and fuel mileage is most likely a secondary concern for the target buyer of this model.

The styling is a quite a bit futuristic, and won't appeal to some traditional tastes that are expecting a "new" bike to be more in line with a Bolt or CB1100.

Hopefully Yamaha has more models in the works, and I'm looking forward to others that will use the triple.

14. zap2504

zap2504 Member

RE styling: check out photos of the Yamaha MT-08 and see the similarities of the 08 and 09 (and imagine an oval headlight on the FZ-09).

RE: fuel mileage: I keep seeing newer bikes with marginal mileage but also notice that the final gearing makes the engine rev fairly high at 65mph. Notice the reviews for the new Honda NC700X. It gets pretty good gas mileage but it revs much lower at speed (and is not that quick nor does it have a fast top-end). Same with most H-D machines. I think that manufacturers are sacrificing fuel economy for acceleration. For good fuel mileage, you should be turning 2500-3000rpm at 65mph. The good thing with the new Yamaha is that it is chain final drive = the ratio can be easily changed to improve mileage. Can't say that about shaftys.

15. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see a new Maxim with that motor.

16. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I've been eying up the Bolt.... Love to see it with an inline 4.... it would essentially be a re-styled Maxim

17. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Nah - it is a Sportster clone pure and simple. Same weight/power output/limited suspension/rider position/price. Both too low (and not enough suspension travel) for me.

Now if you take the Bolt powerplant and put it in a "standard" frame with decent suspension/brakes - especially a frame designed to fit a 6' 2" person for long-distance street riding - then I'm on board. This is what the MT-08 was, but the USA never got it as the marketers at Yammie thought it would not sell in sufficient quantities.

18. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

I have a 850 Midnight special and I gotta say the three cylinder is in a league of its own. I would love to drive that mew bike but I could buy three more old but nice ones for that price.

19. xHondaHack

The old "Triples" are way cool.

Being that the FZ-09 is a naked sport bike, it's not meant for two up riding, and I hope Yamaha puts the new engine into something more like a standard/retro type bike (sorta like the CB1100 or Bolt).

They could call it the "Maxim Triple X".

20. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

It's just another crotch rocket. Wouldn't touch one with a ten foot poll! Only good for short runs at high speed! Too uncomfortable to go for a nice day long ride. It will kill your back which seems to be a big complaint of the crotch rocket crowd when they are on them for more then an hour.