1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Solenoid, starter, or both?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Big beard82, May 10, 2020.

1. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

battery is brand new at 12.8 volts ..im having issues with my start button but I ordered a new one. I just cleaned the brushes and all that. So I was about to start the bike to test the charging voltage. Since I couldn't get the button to work which is a normal occurrence. I said screw it and was going to start it jumping the two terminal bolts at the solenoid. When I did it made a little clicky sparky noise and the bike turned over once. Now there's no sparky sparky or clicky clicky at all. Did I fry the old solenoid or is my starter gone. I've rechecked all fuses.

2. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

Update the bike will not pop start either..sounds like no spark at all...ive been pop starting the bike the last few rides. But since the whole solenoid thing the bike won't even run now. Also tested the starter and with brand new batter to the starter it spins very very little and it won't engage the flywheel. Any input would be amazing . I have a new solenoid on the way and probably going to order a new starter or rebuild it. Does the solenoid effect the coil for ignition?

3. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

I forgot to mention I had the right hand controls off the bike as well just seeing if I can get the button working again. Like I said the bike was running fine before all this besides the starter button that was broken since I bought the bike over a year ago. It would work here and there and I would kinda just play with the button a little till the starter would activate

4. Big beard82

Big beard82 New Member

I have to add one more thing...both the wires for the battery are black and after charging the battery the other day I hooked the battery up backwards and I popped the 20 amp main fuse. I replaced it and I drove the bike after pop starting it . Thanks for any help