1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Somewhat Philisophical

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by Andrew Walters, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Andrew Walters

Andrew Walters New Member

I arrived home from the local constabulary last Saturday morning in a decidedly unjolly mood. The reason for my temperament was this: I had just filed a stolen vehicle report for my beloved 1984 Yamaha XJ750RL, which had gone missing somewhere in the wee hours of the previous night. And, when I asked the nice officer what the likelihood was of seeing my bike again, he casually remarked "that it was likely already on a truck headed for Southeast Asia". Sigh. To make a sad situation worse, I did not have theft insurance on the bike. The logic for this (or lack thereof) was that I figured that no one was going to risk incarceration for stealing a 30+ year old UJM in only fair condition. Plus, I'd save a few bucks on my insurance policy. Well, I was right about the last part, anyway.
    As I hung my coat in the closet I could't help but notice my lovely, red Shoei helmet, slightly gaudy Joe Rocket jacket, well-worn boots and almost new riding gloves also residing in the closet. I've got the gear, I thought, but no longer have the reason for them. I went to the kitchen, made myself a mug of coffee and sat down to ponder my situation; some low-life, meth head scum (just assuming here) had left me in the appalling position of NOT HAVING A MOTORCYCLE. And, with debt aplenty, a bank account that regularly dives into the red and a credit rating that would make a loans manager blanche, my bikelessness was not likely to change anytime soon. It was at this moment that THE QUESTION hit me like a right jab to my mid-section and sent a mouthful of Maxwell House splattering across the kitchen table; am I still a motorcyclist? And, being somewhat philisophical by nature, this question invariably led to the next question: What is it to be a motorcyclist?
    I've been a motorcycle enthusiast since around the age of 14, when I happily memorized motorcycle magazines from cover to cover, the pictures and specs of some of those 70's bikes still etched in my mind. However, it wasn't until I was 17 that I sort of graduated to the rank of motorcyclist after my questionable purchase of an abused '72 125cc Hodaka Wombat. But, even then, I wasn't really a full-fledged motorcyclist, as my Wombat, which was a dirt-only bike, saw very little use and spent 99.999% of its time with me in my Dad's garage in various states of disrepair.
    Fast forward about 25 years, and I finally got my M license through my local college's excellent riding program. Another purchase of a well-used motorcycle, this time an '85 Honda V45 Magna. While the V45, being a little ponderous and surprising powerful, was not an ideal first real motorcycle, I was, however, now a bona-fide motorcyclist. Wahoo! After the Magna came a string of other motorcycles of various displacements, type and manufacture, all purchased 'previously loved' except for an '82 Kawasaki 550 Zephyr from Inglis Cycle in 1984 (new old stock). Now, every motorcyclist has at least one motorcycle that he or she wishes they'd never sold, and selling that little sapphire blue Zephyr was certainly one for my lengthy regrets list.
    Anyway, back to the previously asked questions. What does one think of when you think of the term motorcyclist? Names like Willie Davidson, Robert Pirsig, Evel Knievel, Ewan McGregor, Erik Buell, Steve McQueen and Billy Standley certainly come to mind when you think of motorcyclists. Billy Standley? He was the Ohio man who made the news some years back when he was buried on his '67 Harley. If he was a good man, Mr. Standley will now be riding a Harley in the hereafter (he may riding a clapped-out Hodaka if he wasn't so good). But, what about the the guy with the shiny Electra Glide that he rides a few times a year on sunny Sundays? Is he a motorcyclist? And how about the guy in Southeast Asia who'll soon be riding my old Yamaha with his family and two goats aboard because he can't afford a car. Is he a motorcyclist? I say 'no' because I think to be a true motorcyclist motorcycles have to play an important role in your life and in your way of thinking, and cannot be thought of as mere transportation devices or toys. A motorcyclist is very much passionate about motorcycling, and all things motorcycle. So, am I still a motorcyclist? Yes, I have to be, because the alternative is just too painful to bear thinking about.

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when driving your car do you lean into the corners?
    there are many kinds of motorcyclists. reminds me of a Eastwood movie Good,Bad and the ugly.
    Riders,Bikers and 1%'ers.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Because you question whether you are a Motorcyclist or not, you are. To paraphrase Descartes, "I (constantly) think about motorcycles, therefore I am (a Motorcyclist).

Can we add Nicky Hayden and Clara Wagner and Che Guevara to the list? Also the great Hunter s Thompson. "Hell's Angels" was a hoot! His writing on the Vincent motorcycle inspires me to ride and write. usually not at the same time.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about you losing your bike, been there done that and it sucked! I was lucky kinda to get mine back after three months, it had all the keys spots drilled out and had been laid down on one side. As for the crack heads, you got it, the stole 26 from Warner Robins Ga, in one night to take to Macon and strip and sell. They use moving truck with Tommy lifts and big guys to pick them right up and move them to the truck.

For me it is like my Dads gambling, he loves the horses and I love the bikes. Had six this spring now down to four but always looking for the next project. I think once it is in your blood then it will always stay with you.

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

homeowners insurance ?

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

According to my insurance company, vehicles aren't covered by homeowners insurance. I asked because my garage is a bit of a slantey shanty, and I wanted to know what would happen if it collapsed. Now I'm counting on crossed fingers to save me.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

From polock's link:
    "Also, if your vehicle was stolen out of the open garage it would not be covered by your homeowners policy but by the comprehensive portion of your car insurance policy"
    So my bike is probably not covered in the event of garage collapse or fire either.

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

In the case of fire, if said fire originated from the house and caused the garage to burn down you may have more of a case for homeowners coverage of the garage and it's contents

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

Sorry about that Andrew... on the plus side if you’re close to Kansas City, I’m about to concede to my two bad master cylinders and contemplating selling the 81 and 82 Seca 750s. Wife wants the garage and storage shed emptied and I’m tired of working on them...

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Too bad to are too far away from Wisconsin, looking for a Seca 750 project.....Best of luck selling them...wish I was closer :(