1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Clutch Replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TheCrazyGnat, Mar 22, 2016.

1. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

It's reading on the high end of that, maybe closer to 4.5; I have an analog meter.

2. TheCrazyGnat

Actually, looks like just over 4. I was holding the baby on my first reading.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Should be good then. The resistance values given are for at 68ºF and resistance increases as temperature increases.

4. TheCrazyGnat

Sounds good, I'll just keep an eye on it then,I guess. It's probably closer to 65 in my basement.

5. TheCrazyGnat

Making progress, I am almost ready to split the cases! As I was working I noticed that there is some discoloration on the crankshaft or rocker (I think) under cylinder 2 while looking through the sump cover. I also borked the lip on the middle gear output flange (once again, I think is what it is called) when I was trying to loosen it from its housing using a piece of 1x4. Are either of these things cause for concern?

Attached Files:

6. k-moe

The chip out of the output shaft flange is not a huge deal since it's not big, and does not appear to intrude into the sealing area. I would dress it with a file to remove any sharp edges, and inspect or small cracks.

The discoloration on the crankshaft near the alternator chain sprocket is unusual and does concern me. It is an indication that the crankshaft got hot in that area at some time. I would want to pull the cap from the connecting rod and inspect the lower half of the con-rod bearing. Since the discoloration is closer to the alternator chain sprocket I'd think the that bearing may not be the cause of the heat and should be OK.

The chain guide looks to be in good condition, so it is possible that it was replaced, and the discoloration is a tell-tale of someone not being very careful with their torch when heating the alternator chain guide bolts for removal.

chacal likes this.
  7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

That is a LOT of discoloration on that crank weight. Very odd.

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

Very. It's so localized that is almost makes me wonder if the crank was repaired. The bearing journal are did get not, but not nearly as hot as the web near the chain sprocket.

Once the starter clutch is out I'd like to see the chain moved out of the way and more photos of that part of the crank.

9. TheCrazyGnat

OK, I will try to get some better pictures when I get the cases split and post them here for your diagnosis. I don't really know what I'm looking at. I just thought it was odd that it would have heated up in that one spot. None of the other connecting rods display a similar discoloration. Someone getting a little crazy with their torch seems to be a good explanation, I'll hope it was that. I don't know that anyone in my family would have split the cases, but my grandfather didn't get it until the 90's. It would have been early to have needed to do that kind of work, I think, since I got it and it only had 19k on it. I did notice that the Yamabond sealing the case halves seemed to be applied a little over zealously, making me think that it wasn't factory done, but I am certainly no expert. We'll just have to see, I guess.

10. TheCrazyGnat

So, it does seem that it might have been the starter clutch that was to blame for my problems. But this was a good thing, because the primary chain guide was also cracked almost clean through (it came completely undone when I removed it). Taking apart the Starter Clutch assembly, the gear that meshes with the starter motor appears to be very scraped up, and the bolts that attach the starter clutch to the rest of the hub are buggered up so much I had to remove one with a pair of pliers. I have attached some pictures of the crankshaft again, with more discoloration. I wonder if this is all tied together. I have some more pics I'll upload in the next post.

Attached Files:

11. TheCrazyGnat

Also, there are some little black nubs on the left in the third picture, they all came apart when I opened the assembly, do they need too be in there in any special order? I posted my oil nozzle above, looks good to me, does anyone think differently? Thanks everybody!

Attached Files:

12. k-moe

The starter clutch is one problem but it did not make your crank get hot enough to turn it blue.
    Seeing that the center of the crank got just as hot as the web we saw in the first picture worries me.
    I can't quite see the crank journal next to the cam chain clearly enough. Could you get a photo of it, and of the lower half of that bearing shell?

I also think it would be wise to pull the #2 con rod big end and inspect that bearing as well.

chacal likes this.
  13. chacal

^ what he said.

14. TheCrazyGnat

Boy, this isn't the open and shut case I was hoping for. Oh well, ounce of prevention and all that. Can I just unbolt the bottom of the rod? Is that what you are asking? I just want to be sure I am prepared for when I have to put it back together if I need to do anything special.

15. k-moe

Yes, you can just unbolt the bottom of the rod (the cap). Don't turn the crankshaft, and stuff a clean rag between the piston and the top of the big-end of the rod to keep the bolts from falling onto the piston. Reassembly will require a torque wrench, and if you do not have one you can borrow one from an auto-parts store.

The condition of the bearings will tell us if you have a big problem, or just a mystery.

16. TheCrazyGnat

Do any of these cover it?

Attached Files:

17. TheCrazyGnat

Woops, got your message late. I will go ahead and do that then. As luck would have it,I have an in/lb torque wrench scheduled to arrive tomorrow! I already have a ft/lb one. Everybody loves a good mystery!

18. k-moe

The crankshaft journal looks pretty good. The bearing shell is in the other case half. Go ahead and take a pic of all four individually, as close up as you can and still get a clear focus.

19. chacal

It looks like that engine might have run out of/low of oil at sometime in the dim-and-distant past. I would be kinda worried about taking that up 10K rpms............it's one thing to have a rod let loose, but having a crank break would make any day a Very Bad Day.......

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  20. k-moe

Agreed. I hope that rod bearing will give us a definative answer. I'd expect to see discoloration at that journal too.