1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter continuously engaging

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Xjrider92117, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Hello everyone again!

So every once in awhile my starter will not stop running/engaging. It has only happened a few times. Once when I went to start the bike. The starter just kept spinning and I had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. Another time, I went to a friends house turned the motor off and hung out no problem. I went out and an hour later and started the bike and everything was fine. On the way home I went and got gas, started the bike again and everything was fine. Rode home and tried shut the bike off but the starter kept spinning. I tried turning the key off and the switch to off, nothing... I had to disconnect the battery again.

Commonly it would be the starter. Right? But, I don't thinks thats the problem. Why you might ask...Because I swapped the original starter with my spare starter that was a rebuilt from xj4ever and is basiclly brand new.

The starter relay solenoid is what I'm thinking problem is. I bought one for like 6$ off eBay. Could this cheapO part be the problem?

I'm curios what/why/and how this happens. I understand the a starter can get stuck but again I don't think thats the problem.

The starter button can also be the culprit but I've already cleaned and polished the inside of the housing for that.

Any thoughts would be great!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the solenoid is a relay the contacts may be sticking closed. if that is the issue you need a new solenoid.
    when starter keeps running disconnect the solenoid connector to see if that fixes problem. coil in solenoid may be staying energized.
    you could have a bad diode block check it.
    are you low on oil?
    oil level switch may be sticking or wires may be shorted combine that with a bad diode block starter keeps turning.

if there is no voltage to starter it should not keep spinning.

the blue/white wire may be shorting to ground as well

k-moe likes this.
  3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

I ended finding another solenoid and swapped them. I started the bike probably about 25 time. Seems to work fine.

When I pulled new solenoid that I bought both the white and blue and white and red wires had come loose. The two other solenoids I have are soldered this one just had screws.

Oil level is fine.

I haven't had a chance to go for a ride and warm it up to see if anything changes but I will report back if anything changes.

Thanks!

k-moe likes this.