1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter relay into relay assembly

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by saftie, Mar 31, 2017.

1. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Bike is an 88 fzr 1000, but I think this relay is used on other bikes as well.

There is a wire on the starter relay that goes into a relay assembly labeled 41R-71.
    Wondering what exactly this relay does and if I can get rid of it?

I read on a virago forum that without going there, the bike would not start.

I know it also serves as a flasher relay. But I am more concerned about what it has to do with the starter solenoid.

Thanks.
    Gabor

[​IMG]

2. saftie

Or does this depend on the starter relay? I have seen them without that extra wire if I am not mistaken.
    I ordered and will use a universal one when rewiring the bike.

3. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

That starter relay is the same as some used on the FJ's and the blue/white wire goes into the loom and connects the blue/white wire in the starter button on the handlebars. And I think they are correct about it not starting without it, as I had to bypass the loom from the starter button to the starter relay one time because on of my FJ's wouldn't start without it, because that blue/white wire was broken inside the loom somewhere.
    That 41R-71 is a standard relay on a few Yams and it isn't needed to make the bike run.

4. saftie

Thanks. I just had a look at the diagram again and actually thought about it. Correct, that's basically where the start button would hook up to. Gee, I shouldn't work on the bike this early in the mornings.

Well, that makes it easier then and I can remove it from my setup.
    The motogadget m-unit I will be using has an integrated flasher relay as well. I don't see a need for it now.

Thanks again

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the starter relay shown in your wiring diagram is the solenoid, your solinoid has a jumper from battery wire to hot side of the relay that is why you have just 1 small wire.

the relaY you show 41 r 71 is called blinker relay says it right on the relay turn signal

6. saftie

Yes, that's what it says, but it controls more than that. There are 9 pins going in, only 2 are for the flasher. I know that because I removed those two pins to run them through an LED flasher outside this big relay.

Anyway, I should be good now I think. Thanks a lot. You already helped me in my xj550 rewiring, didn't forget :)

7. XJ550H

the small wire goes through a starter safty relay which keeps bike from starting if any of your safety switches is not working or is working.

neutral switch clutch safety switch and side stand switch.

there should be another relay besides the one you show which does this function.

8. XJ550H