1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stripped bolt in clutch - HELP!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ahearnc3, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Ahearnc3

Ahearnc3 New Member

Hi all,

New biker and wrencher. I was working through the clutch, replaced the springs and thought I was good to go. Decided I would use my new torque wrench to torque down the bolts and snapped one. Thought it wasn't a big deal and tried to use an extractor, but couldn't get purchase on the hardened steel bolts. To make matters worse, I did more damage to it and am feeling completely demoralized. Not sure what my next steps are, but appreciate your help. Photos are below.

Attached Files:

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

leave that bolt there and get another basket

3. Ahearnc3

Ahearnc3 New Member

4. JCH

JCH Active Member

You should be able to find the correct replacement bolts for the pressure plate ?

5. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

I bought an 81 xj550 maxim where the po snapped a bolt just like that. You can get a complete basket like I did on ebay for about 50 bucks. Remember any 81 to 83 maxim or seca models will fit.

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Also, for future reference (too late now) I think those bolts holes are drilled all the way through the clutch basket. Since the basket is well oiled, with no tension on the bolt (after the head sheared off) you should be able to spin it right out if you get some bite on it. A left handed drill bit would do it from that position, and a right handed one from the back (after pulling the basket). I found a snapped bolt in my Triumph ST1050 and spun it out no problem from the back.

Franz likes this.
  7. Ahearnc3

Ahearnc3 New Member

8. Kweb1889

Kweb1889 Member

Yes sir that is a clutch basket. You will need new springs since old ones are never advised to use. And a tool too hold the clutch boss while you remove the basket. I've heard of other ways to do it without the tool other members will have a better idea

9. Ahearnc3

Ahearnc3 New Member

Thank Kweb and others. Just received a new basket and will look into tools/options on how to secure the clutch boss. Any suggestions are appreciated!

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I just put it in gear and hold the rear brake