1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Think I found the issue with my stuck gears?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by OakStrong, Aug 31, 2016.

1. OakStrong

OakStrong New Member

1981 Yamaha Seca XJ750:

Here is a photo of the part I believe to be the culprit. I have the owner's manual for this beast, but I can't find any mention of the part(?) The part that has 4H7 on it. There is a pin on the other side that is missing, and where the selector mechanism pulls, is where that pin is missing, and I believe this is what is preventing me from shifting. I did try to shift with the case open and manually grabbing the bugger, but I still couldn't shift gears. I hope it is the lack of a pivot or strength and not something else..

Will any of you be able to tell me what this part is called? Can I simply replace it by removing that phillips screw? I would love to hear all about this! Is there a video one could recommend me? Is there anyone in Iowa or Southern Minnesota that would like to participate and teach me your ways?

Sincerely,

Daniel
    [​IMG]

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if it is the pin one would wonder where it went:(

4. OakStrong

OakStrong New Member

Thank you dog face for your timely response.

I looked at the Shift Cam Fork Assembly, and unless those pins/dowels run through the Segment, then they are not the pins/dowels that I am referring to, though there were only four pins where I'm referring and I thought there would be five because the Selector Mechanism isn't catching. If those are the pins and they do run through the Segment, then I have four of those, and that is not my issue. Should the Selector Mechanism always be able to catch those pins? Could it be possible the rotation is wrong, and that is why my Selector Mechanism isn't catching?

This is hard to explain, but I will post a few more pictures from the bike this weekend to help facilitate what I am talking about. Or perhaps even a video..

Do those pins run through the Segment?

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

it's been a long time since i was in there but maybe one pin is supposed to be missing. put the shafts, springs and arms back on and find first gear, then shift through the gears and watch the arm move the pins. you might find that if there was another pin it would try to move it up past fifth or down past first

6. OakStrong

OakStrong New Member

My original problem is that I cannot shift gears. But that's what I am wondering...if there are only supposed to be 4, and that is NOT my problem

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

One pin is indeed supposed to be missing. If it were there you'd be able to shift past 5th directly into 1st, and that would be bad.
    Illustration here:
    http://vid1136.photobucket.com/albums/n485/FlyGp3D/A000799TRANSSHIFTDRUM-01.mp4

Are you unable to shift with the bike in motion, or stationary?
    If while stationary, you need to move the rear wheel so the gears can mesh.
    If while in motion then you may have a broken alternator chain guide.
    The following procedure will get you going for now, but is only a (very) temporary measure; the guide will need to be replaced.

http://xjcd.org/emergency_guidectomy

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

9. OakStrong

OakStrong New Member

Sorry about that. I wasn't sure if it would pop up as new and if people would see it as much as a new topic. I will keep it to one post from now on, thanks.

10. OakStrong

OakStrong New Member

I have looked at this 'emergency guidectomy' and do not see any damage of any kind in that little hole. The missing pin makes sense, thank you for that. I am unable to shift in stationary mode, and was not able to shift when the bike was moving. It is stuck in first as of now. I've lifted the back tire off the ground and have tried moving it back and forth while attempting to shift but nothing occurs.

11. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.