1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Time to hook it back up...Help?

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Cafe_Guy94, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Alright so ive cleaned my carbs and I'm working on cleaning out the gas tank. In afraid the bike do not come with all the hoses and connections. This is my first time hooking it all up. Does anyone have pictures of how their bikes carb/engine/gas lines look? What hoses do I need? Where should they go? Pictures would help a tremendous amout. Thanks!

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

This is just a guide Cafe-Guy94 but my XJ 900f has four thin rubber pipes coming out of the carburetors and two thicker rubber pipes from the T piece joints (they are overflow pipes) and they all go down the back of the carburetors towards the swinging arm. Hope this helps unfortunately I don't have any pictures although there should be some on this forum.

3. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks Franz. Ill definately will look some more. I'm a new rider/builder so all the stuff is really new to me. I was looking on YouTube all weekend on how to disassemble and clean ans reassemble my carbs. I just don't know whats missing. I know for a fact I'm missing hoses. I just need a picture or a site to know what I'm looking for.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

4 mm vacuum hose from carm manifold boot to small nipple on petcock
    6mm fuel line from large nipple on petcock to carb fuel tee between carb bodies

HOW TO: Install a fuel filter

6. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

So I got the hoses ready. I believe this weekend I will finally start it. I'm buying a new battery because mine was dead. I'm hoping and praying it starts. I actually gotta take the carbs off again because my rebuild kit just arrived from eBay. So well see what happens. Thanks for the help guys. I'm hoping to get riding soon.

7. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

So I'm trying to start the bike now and I'm getting nothing. The lights come on but no action from the engine. I just replaced the spark plugs. But I checked and I'm not getting any spark from the 2 solenoids on the stem. Are they bad do you think? These are the parts I'm worried about. I'm not very sure what they are. I only figure solenoid because they look like they're giving or supposed to give the spark to the plugs.

Attached Files:

8. k-moe

Those are the ignition coils, and you have two different ones (the white one is non-stock, but may be of the correct electrical specification). The wiring to them is sketchy. Check that first.
    Also check that the sidestand switch isn't stuck.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

M
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. The wiring looks off. I dont like the tape. It seems sketchy like you said. And the bike doesnt have any side stand. I just ordered one this week. Where would the switch be located though? Maybe its still there even though the stand isn't.

10. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so ive gone through all the wiring I can see and I know it doesn't look the best but I've taken all the electrical tape off, cleaned the wires, and crimped them together. 2 of the fuses are getting power but 2 are not.. I tested the starter motor today and it works fine. So I guess is a wiring problem?

11. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

I'm also having trouble with my throttle cable. It doesnt seem to be pulling the butterflies at all and it doesnt snap back into place? Its all free play. I just bought a 1982 xj650 maxim so I'm not too sure what the PO was doing.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is the cable in the holder on top of the carb rack.

13. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Yeah its in the holder. And I adjusted it on the cable and its still so tight.

14. k-moe

I would bet that the nut on the #3 throttle shaft has been overtightened.

15. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks for the information. Ill definitely loosen it this weekend. I also bought a new rectifier because when I tested mine I wasnt getting any type of reading. So I'm thinking maybe thats why I'm not getting power to my starter motor.

16. k-moe

The rectifier has nothing to do with the starting circuit. It's part of the charging circuit.

17. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay. Then I got bad advise from a friend. Kind of. It still wasn't working so a new one will be good. But I'm still not sure why I'm not getting any power to my starter. It wont even try to turn over. The starter is good. I bench tested it about a week ago.

18. k-moe

Will it spin when you lay a screwdriver across the two big terminals on the starter solenoid?

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Have you checked the fuses? Safety relays? Tested for continuity in the start button? RUN switch turned on? Double-check your battery? Ground wire? Voltage at the starter terminal?

20. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

I havent tried that yet but ill definitely try this weekend.