1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tips for riding in the wet

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by XJ_theodore, Feb 7, 2020.

1. XJ_theodore

XJ_theodore New Member

Hi all,
    The title is pretty much self explanatory, but I'm thinking I'll elaborate slightly, as I await your thoughts.
    I've become quite hooked on riding, but as we have wet roads here in Denmark more often than not, I'd like to get your input on riding in wet conditions. We have everything from drizzle to heavy rain, and the only constant thing is the wind. That never stops.
    I generally tend to err on the side of caution, especially on twisty and unknown roads, so please do share your thoughts and experiences.
    Cheers, Theodore

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Keep dry and warm. One of the fastest ways to get in trouble IMHO is to wet and cold. I know my body slows down with both happen and that changes my reaction time. Good tires that allow the water to move away from the rubber that allows it to contact the road. Good driving lights to see what you need to see when it is raining.

As you already stated, the cautious way of driving on wet and maybe unknown roads is slow and steady. Getting good or great riding gear to keep you dry and warm still number one to me.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yup, good gear is number one. Wet and wind are a bad combination even when warm. Keep calm, rider readiness includes your state of mind. Take it easier on the controls, no abrupt throttle or braking.

While there is some traction loss when wet, it's not a ton as some people will try to tell you. I try to avoid roads immediately after rain as all the oils etc. will wash up to the surface for about 30 min after the rain starts.

kerriskandiesinc and lostboy like this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

paint stripes, tape stripes, metal plates, tar patches are all slippery.
    try locking the back wheel at 25kph just to see how it feels, you can try the front wheel going slower but remember things will happen real fast, be ready.
    avoid the center of the lane where cars tend to drip things.
    slow down
    there's nothing like sitting at a stop light with water dripping of your nose

5. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

I try to minimize changes in road surface (such as avoiding patches and manhole covers), minimize changes in speed, and minimize changes in direction & angle. And I keep a large buffer of space around me.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you may ant to use rain x on your face shield to help water slide off. also there are some ski gloves with a little wiper blade on them work to help clear shield.
    you may want to add some rear lights or reflector vest to help with visability from behind

7. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

All great points above, from an ex UK bike courier, who rode 'in the wet' for most of his life, honestly, I can't think of 'owt really thats not already been said......also your concentration levels will automatically increase, so on a ,long trip you'll obviously get tired more....take a break, even a 15 minute break somewhere dry might give you a break in the weather...

Watch for internal visor fogging.....leaving it cracked open a little might be best...rather a moist chin than foggy visor....and remember most CAR drivers can't drive properly in the wet either, so concentration, on the road and others is king.......

With GOOD all round tyres, don't be afraid of wet roads though, whilst I wouldn't recommend it, after a hard days riding, hot tyres, you CAN actually get your pegs down, in the wet......smoothness is key!!

if you can get used to them, bar muffs are THE only way to keep your hands near 95% dry......dont be afraid of old marigold ( washing gloves) over your regular ones

if you do a sideways head turn, every now and again, most modern helmets will 'airflow' the worst of the rain off the visor......temporarily !!

PS wind and rain, keep in mind country lanes can have wet leaves on them, now THESE can be quite tricky !!

XJ&Tracer 900 likes this.
  8. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Don't ride in the center of the lane, oil that drips off vehicles collects there and it is as slippery as ice, also if you get caught out and it been awhile since the last time it has rained, the whole lane can be slippery untill the rain washes some of the oil off the road.

9. XJ_theodore

XJ_theodore New Member

That is a wealth of precious knowledge, and I thank you all for the great points you've shared!
    It is hell to ride with a foggy visor, and I've been researching preventative measures or some kind of "rub" for the inside of the visor. Some ideas are plain nuts, others swear by polishing it with shaving cream. For now, I think I'll stick to leaving it ever so slightly open and preventing it from becoming opaque.
    I never thought about staying away from the middle of the lane in the wet, I generally stayed there because I figured that's where the asphalt is less used and should provide more grip. I'll keep your suggestions in mind and move to the more "beaten tracks".
    I have invested in good warm riding gear, it actually cost me as much as the bike, but it's absolutely worth it.
    Polock, I have taken your suggestion about trying to lock up the rear wheel, it was unexpectedly easy to do, and I think I'll stick to using engine brake and front brakes for slowing me down.
    XJ550 I have placed an order for (the equivalent of) RainX, what is available for me, and I will be applying it shortly. I am sure it will helt a great deal. kerriskandiesinc I have heavily considered using the bar muffs. While I am convinced they would keep the hands warm and dry (I don't have the means to purchase heated gloves) I just think they make the bike look silly. True, there's a point where one has to choose between looks and practicality, and yes they are easily removable when the weather warms up, but I'm just not convinced yet... I have a friend lending me a set of handguards off his old dirt bike, and I'll see if that makes a difference. If not, bar muffs it is!

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

keep a micro-fiber rag in your jacket pocket to wipe your shield

XJ550H likes this.
  11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

rain x also sells an anti fog not sure if they work

Rain‑X® Interior Glass Anti-Fog
    https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-anti-fog/#.Xj8Zf2hKjIU

and one for bathroom mirrors

https://www.rainx.com/product/for-the-home/rain-x-bathroom-mirror-anti-fog/#.Xj8ZoWhKjIU

I used to spit in my diving mask to prevent fog but would not recomend that for face shield:confused:

I do use a ski mask very thin to cover my mouth and nose and controled breathing to help with fogging balaclava masks

Timbox likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Washing up liquid used for plates etc is great for preventing a visor fogging up. Just use very little on the inside of the visor and rub it in.

13. XJ&Tracer 900

XJ&Tracer 900 New Member

Great tips!
    Driving all year round in Sweden my pin lock on the visor have yet to fail me, I tend to change them every 2 year or so. Might last longer if you don't drive every day. No substitute for tyres that perform well in the wet, I prefer the Road 5. Makes me feel like I'm going down the road on tracks.

14. XJ_theodore

XJ_theodore New Member

I will start a daily commute of about 100 km from next week. Fortunately for a month only. After that it will "only" be 50 km round trip. I have taken your suggestions to heart, I just need to get me a wheel balancing "axle" and I'm all set. I purchased a Carbtune tool, and I'm planning a "church of clean" at the earliest possibility. The Acerbis handguards do take a lot of the wind, but with temperatures below 5 Celsius and winds of over 50 kph nowadays, I have finally installed bar muffs and they will get tested soon. Otherwise, I have noticed some oil consumption, about 300 ml after about 2500 kms, anything that should worry me?
    XJ&Tracer 900, thanks for the tyre suggestion. I can't find a pinlock specific for my helmet though, I have a Scorpion Exo Combat...

15. XJ&Tracer 900

XJ&Tracer 900 New Member

That's unfortunate. What you could do is to go for their universal pinlock and buy pins. They sell them separately. If you go down that route know that you will need to drill holes for the pins on your visor.
    Since I haven't tried it myself I'm not comfortable recommending it. Maybe talk to your local shop or where you bought your helmet about it, before you start to drill ;)

Best of luck!

16. XJ_theodore

XJ_theodore New Member

Anyone got any suggestions on the following riding gear (for my next daily commute):
    Dainese D-Blizzard jacket, Macna Iron pants, IXS Tour Classic boots, Course winter tour gloves, IXS Orca Evo overalls
    Only complaint about the overalls is that, while water does not get to me, no sweat escapes, so I'm in a bit of a "marinating in my own juices" type of situation when it rains...
    XJ&Tracer 900 i would be very reluctant to drilling holes in my visor so ill try the more "homestyle" recipes first!

17. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

For fogging visor, I cannot recommend the "pinlock" visor system enough. It definitely works, but you have to have the right visor for it.