1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To Rebuild or Not to Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Videos' started by Joshua Olkowski, Aug 2, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Burbon. Moderator Premium Member

How you adjust the clutch cable matters.
    Clutch Adjustment & Clutch Cable Replacement Procedure

Having said that, I agree about perhaps needing new friction plates.
    One simple test is to get on the highway in fifth, then shift down to third as if you were going to pass a car. Any clutch slippage will become quite obvious at that point.
    Do that test after adjusting the cable.

If there is no slippage of the clutch, and the cable adjustment does not remedy the engagement problem, then you most likely need a new clutch cable. They do stretch a bit, and a bit is enough to keep the clutch from fully disengaging.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Joshua Olkowski likes this.
  2. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I changed the oil and adjusted the cable on a cold bike to 3mm free play as per the manual. It works fine now. It may have been a combination of bad oil and not enough free play.

On a different note. How do I get this thing OUT!!!!
    This is the left crankcase flange oil seal. As you can see I have made attempts at trying to pry it out with no success. I tried screwing in a wood screw and then yanking it out and it is in there tight! Can anybody give me some helpful hints on how to get this seal out. thanks

Attached Files:

3. k-moe

You will need to very carefully cut a wedge out of the steel part of the seal (a Dremel tool or smilar), and use a chisel to very carefully curl the seal to a smaller daiameter so it can be removed.
    There may be other methods that someone else can chime in on.

Joshua Olkowski and Chitwood like this.
  4. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

That's exactly what I did and that got it out. The very carefully part is in question, however. I actually just used a nail and hammer to start a hole, then used a flat head screw driver and hammer and made an incision into it. That was able to collapse the seal just enough that I could pull it out with brute force.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  5. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I'm not sure who decides to delete threads but I wanted to start a thread about this since there is almost no information regarding how to do this procedure on here and the next person who has to do this could find it easier on this site. Maybe I should've explained that before. Just an fyi.

6. k-moe

If you can do a writeup in the DYI section that would be appreciated. Include photos or drawings if you can.

I deleted your post as it seemed to be asking the same question as you were asking here.