1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To Rebuild or Not to Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Videos' started by Joshua Olkowski, Aug 2, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'd drop the oil and inspect the clutch.

Joshua Olkowski likes this.
  2. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I STAND CORRECTED. It was in fact the starter motor. I bought a whole engine block off an old Maxim and have been using parts off of it so I thought, what the heck, let's swap out the starter motor. The situation has been rectified. That isn't the clincher though because changing out the starter motor also remedied another situation that has plagued me since owning this bike, IT FIXED THE CHARGING SYSTEM!! For the first time in two years the charging system responds the way it's suppose to. When I gas it you can see the needle on the voltmeter go up immediately. It's never done that. It would take a good ten seconds of building up speed before it would get to full charging output. It also STAYS at full charging output on the voltmeter while I ride where as before it would go down even after 10minutes of riding. I tried everything! I tried swapping out the rotor, stator, RR, cleaned wires, new brushes, you name it, I did it. For some reason the starter must have been constantly drawing from the battery but that would mean the starter solenoid would also have to be on too, righ? However, when I changed out the solenoid I was still having the same issue. I would love someone to explain this to me.