1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trying to build a bobber out of my Xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Delano Hernandez, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I about to start my bobber project but want to know how to eliminate the battery unit altogether and don't know if that can be done I want the space where the battery and the air filter are!?

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If you want the bike to do little things such as start and run, you will need a battery. If that's not important, removing the battery and ditching the airbox should be fine.
    All kidding aside, I've never seen a kick start conversion for an xj. Doubtful it's even possible. Finding and relocating a smaller battery, such as lithium, would probably be much easier. And if you enjoy carb tuning, you can replace the airbox with pods filters. That decision won't make you all that popular around here either. There is a decade old argument on that subject... many feel they don't work. A few claim success...

3. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

See the thing is I going to due it anyway and add a hard tail frame I'm going to talk to my welder and see if he can add a Harley hardtail frame for the fatter Tire

4. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

Or should I use the Xs650 hardtail frame I trying to get a custom chopper bobber look

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You should get a different bike. One that has a kickstart, and a wider rear frame.

You can't eliminate the battery, or add a kickstart. Widening the rear of the frame is doable, but you can't have a wider wheel because of the shaft drive.
    I see what you want to do, and approve of the style, but this aint' the right bike to do it to. It's like wanting to turn a Camaro into a rock-crawling 4X4; doable, but not worth the effort.

hogfiddles and Delano Hernandez like this.
  6. k-moe

Then why ask for advice?

hogfiddles likes this.
  7. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I was talking about removing the airbox but do you think that Xs650 frame would fit the Xj550 I just want to extend the frame this is my first bike and just want a bobber that will fit me until I can get me a Harley so I can say that I built it the way I wanted

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

[QUOTE="Delano Hernandez, post: 551275, member: 22481"until I can get me a Harley[/QUOTE]

Anyone can get a Harley. That's why it's expensive to buy a used one. Everyone wants there money back.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Anyone can get a Harley. That's why it's expensive to buy a used one. Everyone wants there money back.[/QUOTE]

I ride XJ's........I don't need to get a Harley

Xjrider92117 likes this.
  10. steber

steber Active Member

The 550 isn't shaft drive though.. you'll still run into issues depending how wide you go.

11. steber

steber Active Member

I don't think you'll be that lucky to fit the xs hardtail on to the XJ. TC bros makes a universal kit that would be your best option, just gotta get it straight so you're not going down the road sideways.

12. k-moe

He mentioned a 650 frame.

13. k-moe

I want a Harley. Preferably something from around 1916-1928. An Indian would be better though.

14. steber

steber Active Member

yeah.. the XS650, which is a better choice for a bobber, they have a weld on hard tail section. Cut stock frame, lug and weld and you've got a bobber. XS650 is chain drive, but I'm not sure on the geometry being congruent with the XJ550 frame. You really need to lug the frame if you're going to weld on any additonal pipe and if they dont line up you're going to be doing a lot of custom fitting. Sure looks like a close fit but wouldn't want to pony up the cash to find out you're out of luck.

15. k-moe

Ahh I missed the XS part. Much better platform for what he wants to do, but starting with a whole bike.

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Then go right ahead, don't ask anything else. Amazing how many people ask questions, and the only answers they accept are ones that tell them what they want to hear, agree with them, or inflate their ego.... but get stubborn, argumentative, mad, combative, etc... when told anything other that what they just want to hear

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Delano Hernandez likes this.
  17. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

If this can't be done I'll just keep it the way it is put a new engine,seat,shocks ,new forks,rewire the whole bike, powder coated the frame,add new handlebars with a 16"rise,all white tires,and paint the tank and teal color,and redirect the battery to a ammo box to the side of the bike like a saddle bag

18. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I'm talking about the airbox if you would of read it I'm going to put pods on the carb

19. k-moe

So are we. While pods can be done, getting a good result takes away from riding time.
    If you insist, this thread will set you in the most-likey course for success:
    Steber's 81 XJ550 Bobber

20. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

Thank you dose anyone know if there are any other rims besides the stock rims I want some but can't find any