1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signals Shut Off Automatically XV250 (Dead battery)

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Zachary Albright, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

Right after I talk good about her, a gremlin finds a way on my bike. Before I posted here, I looked up and down this planet for a situation like mine. Alas I found none.

So when I am riding, during a left turn I will turn on my turn signal for left indication. After 30 seconds or so, it will automatically turn off the signal, no warning.

The bike rides fine, and there is no real problem from this. Except My Battery Keeps Dying.

I checked the heads and pipes I just installed for any wires that could have landed on them and get scorched. No problems there.

The charging system seems to be working fine. Lights brighten and dim like they are sospost to when you bring up the rpm. But the lamps seem to get really dim when it is at idle. Especially the instrument lights in the dashboard. Sounds like a drain.

It gets better. The charging system seems to be doing its job, BUT after 4K, the lights start to dim and flicker. This is most evident at night time. Doubt this is usual.

I have the wiring diagrams with me, but I'm not sure where to start. Headlamp? Fuses? (Doesn't look like it has a fuse box) is there a way to test draw from wire to wire using D.C.?

She needs a little help. Thanks a ton if you can provide it.

2. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

So I narrowed it down. The bike has self canceling Signals. False alarm, I'm dumb. It also means my right Signals don't cancel due to the relay not working to my guess. No biggie.

What this does mean though is that my stator could be in big trouble. Higher Rpm's could be overloading the r/r as this brand new OEM stator was just replaced 3k miles ago.

I'll measure the ohms resistance from my stator tonight and I'll get back with you guys tonight.

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Looks lik you have a good plan for dignosis. I would also check the regulator.

Zachary Albright likes this.
  4. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

The r/r does not even feel hot to the touch, even after a 30 minute ride. But I will definitely trouble shoot it. What's the resistance ohms to look for again? .05? Something like that? Any more and it's bad?

5. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

Well I'll be a son of a gun. The stator is bad. Again.

Resistance is .9 That's pretty crap. I'm surprised that it's still churning.

I'm not even getting 9-10VAC at 2000rpm. It's literally sucking out the juice from my battery as I rev.

This is the last OEM Stator I get.

Are there any good aftermarket brands I could get the names of? ElectoSport? Rick's Motorsport?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Was it a new staor from Yamaha, or a used stator from a different bike?

You could take it to an electric motor shop for rewinding.
    I'm pretty sure that Rick's has one.

I'd still check out the regulator. The stator failed for a reason, and a faulty R/R can (rarely) cause stator failures. Have the battery load tested as well as a bad cell can also cause stator failure.

7. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

New OEM. I didn't even think about rewinding it. I don't know of any electric motor shop around my area. I live in Nowhere, Cambodia. I will be cracking open the case today to inspect the stator.

I saw a Rick's Motorsport. Regulator and Stator for 110 bucks. Not a bad deal. I'm thinking about getting that and replacing the whole charging system.

For 110 bucks, thats alot more reasonable than a bike burning down. I appreciate the insight though. I figured the stator failed for a reason.

After I install the new system, I am tracing every wire in my bike, looking for splits, pinches, and scorching. Atleast I know my charging system should not be at fault.

8. Zachary Albright

Zachary Albright Member

Finally got the thing put back together. Got new Regulator/Rectifier along with it, Replaced the plugs to the r/r from the stator, replaced the pins, whole nine yards.

I traced ALL of the wires down on my bike. I found a ground! There was a earth from the front fender lamp light. Turns out the silicone on the underside of the lamp rubbed off and the wheel started scrubbing the dangling wire. *There is my problem* I got a whole new set of wire on it now, Wired better than before and out of the way from the wheel. No grounds elsewhere.

The front tyre went flat though. I don't know why, Must have been an old inner tube or a broken stem. I replaced the front inner tube, inner tube liner, and had it balanced. It's on the road again.

Moral of the story:
    If you have a bike that has turn signals that turn off suddenly, Odds are, it's so post to.