1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted WANTED XJ550R SECA FUEL TANK

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by LOEWY, Feb 21, 2017.

1. LOEWY

LOEWY New Member

Howdie folks,

TL;DR: messed up and have a crappy tank now, would rather buy one in functioning condition.

purchased a 83 550 SECA last year in good condition other than fuel tank. Instead of fixing the tank up, most people recommended buying a used one - after looking for months, I found one on eBay. Unfortunately, after having the paint/previous liner removed, I found a lot of pinholes/small holes (ballpoint pen sized) (picture is of the worst area to give an idea). Radiator shops and a few fabricators/welders have said they may be able to get it working again (mix of brazing, patching and final liner coat). All this would be really expensive and haven't yet had anyone guarantee they can make it work.

Trying one last time to reach out and see if anyone has one for sale (preferably already stripped/bare metal, will take anything not leaking fuel). I know how rare these are, but feel it's worth a try.

If any one has suggestions/tips as to how to deal with the problem, let me know. The reason why I am not yet stripping and fixing up the other tank (came with bike, leaking) is I have no idea if after all the effort/money it will be in any better of a condition then the one I bought on eBay. My guess is the PO's "patch up", a mix of solder and puttie (JB Weld type) will not hold up under a proper metal cleaning. It holds fuel okay, and could do further external patching to keep it temporarily functioning (has Redkote from PO a well) .. could be wrong though.

best,
    Loewy

ps: have some parts for this bike (83' XJ550 SECA) that are in decent condition and I will not have any use for. Of most interest are the front fairing, triple tree/brake, disc for brake, exhausts (rusty, with some holes). Figured I would put it up here before going to eBay. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you some pics. Would be willing to trade for tank. Will make formal post just for that later.

Attached Files:

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We do have a good used 550 Seca tank available:

HCP126VGU OEM original steel GAS TANK, for all XJ550 Seca models, very good used condition, Does not include mounting hardware, gas cap, petcock, etc. Tank has been fully de-rusted (internal and external), stripped, straightened and body work completed, and re-finished in PPG universal primer, ready for paint.
    $ inquire

Let me know if you're interested.

3. LOEWY

LOEWY New Member

Absolutely, will PM