1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wire Wheels and a 150 Rear - Virago 700 style!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by MiGhost, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ouchie

ouchie Member

Yep you bet it is definitely smaller!

When I do the swap I'll try to remember to take a side-by-side pic of them with a tape measure reference.

Thanks for the info!

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, would you have to do this procedure every time you changed the tire or got a flat?

3. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    With the 150 tire, Yes.
    There is just not enough room between the final drive, and swingarm leg to allow the drive hub to slide into place. The Virago swingarm is approx 10-12mm wider at the axleshaft allowing it to be done.

With the spoked wheel you are looking at pulling the wheel anytime you have a flat. While there are tubeless spoked wheels available. These wheels are not tubeless. Just one of the cons of spoked wheels.

The only critical points on the swingarm are the torque tube, and pivot points. The right side leg only serves as a mount for the shock, and a locator for the axle shaft. The swingarm leg can be modified to provide the necessary clearance. I am looking into some possible mods to the swingarm to reduce, or eliminate this problem (I don't like fussing with the driveshaft u-joint either. Major PITA).

Ghost

4. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to adapt the Virago swingarm to the XJ?

5. MiGhost

Without a doubt. I am in the process of doing this myself. You need narrow the swingarm up between the pivot points approx 5-10 mm. It is just a stamped locator/reinforcement plate between the torque tube, and the right leg. The Virago swingarm will give approx 2" stretch to the rear also. But that is another mod to be done and written up.

Will this make fitting the 150 easier? NO!
    When you narrow the swingarm. You also pull the right leg inward.

I am looking into a mod that will make it a 2-3 bolt operation with no further need to pull the final drive assembly. Very much like a true single side swingarm.

Ghost

6. ol_750

ol_750 Member

I just measured my 750RL & 900 swingarm across the pivot point & its 285mm how does that compare to the Virago? :?

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

take the right shock off, i think it'll go

8. MiGhost

[quote="ol_750]
    I just measured my 750RL & 900 swingarm across the pivot point & its 285mm how does that compare to the Virago? :?[/quote]

Just measured the virago swing arm at 292mm at the pivot.

The measurement at the final drive (inner flange to swingarm at axle shaft)
    XJ750 142mm
    XV700 158mm

The virago swingarm is.
    7mm wider at the pivot.
    16mm wider at the axle shaft.

Swingarm length (pivot center to axle shaft center)
    XJ750 420mm
    XV700 465mm

Hope this helps
    Ghost

9. MiGhost

With the 150 tire. The point of contact was 3/4 the way up on the swingarm. Well clear of the shock (Swing arm off bike). The interference was not allowing the drive hub to slip into place.

It may be possible to loosen, and move the final drive to get the space need to allow the drive hub to slip in.

Ghost

10. tgjones85

tgjones85 New Member

Onto the rear.
    Surprisingly enough. The rear is a straight swap with the following exceptions. The 650 uses a different brake plate and will require the use of the brake plate from one of the following. 700 Virago, 700 Maxim/Maxim X, 750 Maxim/Seca, 920 Virago.

84 XV700L Rear wheel mounted to XJ750K frame (Test fit)[​IMG]

Tire clearance at swingarm with Pirelli Route 150/90-15 M/C 74H tire mounted (Test fit)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the 550 model: unsure if this would work with the chain drive.
    On the 650 model: Get the wheel, and brake plate.
    On the 700 & 750 models: Get the wheel only.

Note: The fork inner tube length on the 700 Virago is 735mm compared to the 670mm on the XJ750, and 608, on the XJ650. This will raise the front of the bike slightly and increase the rake by a couple degrees (old school chopper trick). This will give a 2.5" over fork on the 750, and a 5" over fork on the 650. I am sure that you can get shorter fork tubes through Forking by Frank to return the bike to the stock ride height if desired.

If you have made it this far, and paid close enough attention. You will note that the same can be done with the 5-spoke wheels available on the 85-86 Maxim/MaximX also.

Ghost[/quote]

would this wheel fit on the 750 maxim as a direct fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-WHEEL-RIM- ... 500wt_1289

11. ol_750

ol_750 Member

No one has talked about the splines on the drive shaft & or the universal joints. How do they match up between the Xv's & the XJ ? :lol:

12. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Glad to see this post being revived. Mag wheels are easier to clean, but there is just something about spokes.....like clipping a basebal card to the forks of your bicycle to make it sound like a motorcycle when I was a kid.
    Just found this on (where else) YouTube, things sure have changed since I was a kid! (Insert Razzes here) :roll: :roll:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVNx4Cp ... re=related

13. MiGhost

The XJ700 Maxim/Maxim X 5 spoke wheels can be used in the same manner as the wire wheels. Direct swap on the rear with noted brake backer plate issuse for the 650's. The front will need the complete front fork assembly swapped to use the wheel, and braking system.

Ghost

14. MiGhost

The drive spline on the wheel is the same on both the virago, and maxim/seca. So there will not be an issue with just using the virago wheel with the maxim final drive. They both use the same final drive assembly with different driveshafts.

The virago swingarm/driveshaft is another story though. Being both wider, and longer the virago swingarm/driveshaft will not be a direct swap. The virago driveshaft u-joint is also different (different spline count), and will have to be adapted to work.

I have not been able to confirm this yet, but I believe the u-joint cross is the same on both the maxim, and virago. It would be just a matter of using the virago spline with the maxim flange then.

Ghost

15. ol_750

ol_750 Member

I have just purchased an XV1100 swingarm & drive to fit to my XJ900 so I'll tell you how it works out. Cheers Andrew

16. ol_750

ol_750 Member

Finally my XV1100 swing arm arrived...
    Though the XV1100 swing arm is wider at the piviot point the internal measurement of the XJ900 frame seems to be sufficient to allow a straight bolt in. Will put up some pics & measurements soon. 8)

I'm going from disc brake back to drum which doesnt seem to be a problem , just need a translation on what you guys are calling the brake plate ?? :?
    Also the shocky mount is slightly rear ward of the XJ mount on the drive.

17. ol_750

ol_750 Member

:D The XV1100 shaft has 21 splines same as the XJ900 so no need to make a mod or adaptor just bolts straight on to my XJ900 mtr :D :D :D

18. MiGhost

The Brake plate is the panel on the right side of the wheel that the brake shoes are attached to.

Ghost

19. ol_750

ol_750 Member

:D Thought that might be it , Thanks. Some of the aftermarket manuals call it a panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. MUGZY

MUGZY New Member

what bearing kit do i need for the swap for my 81 maxim xj650 ?
    the xv700 bearing kit or xj650 ?