1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Won't start! :-( help, please?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

I've been riding my bike regularly, it's a 1980 Yamaha XJ650 with 27,158 miles on it. We've done a LOT to it (partial list on my profile and showcase)
    Last year we rebuilt the starter. I've put at least 5000 miles on it since.
    I rode my bike the other day, the next day the starter just spins really fast.
    I checked the battery, it was a little low on acid, filled it with distilled water, (it's 2 years old I think) changed the oil and filter, (Castrol 4T 20/50) and checked all the electrical components, made sure everything is tight.
    We have a steep driveway and I was easily able to pop start it and ride it up the road and back. As soon as I got back, I tried the starter, again, it just spins.
    Do I need another starter (or rebuild) or is my starter clutch shot? There's NO noise, not like a bag of gravel or anything anyone else has described a bad starter clutch :(, just the noise of the starter spinning and not turning the motor.
    Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, solutions lol?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

check the battery voltage
    bump start the bike and check the charging voltage.
    see if the battery is charging..
    put battery on charger if you have one . could be battery is to weak to spin everything fast enough to catch

you could try jumping the battery from a car battery car off see if the starter works correctly.

3. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Battery is holding a charge, but it won't start the bike even when it's attached to the charger. I need to go find our multimeter to check voltage, but battery was the first thing we checked, topped it off and charged it, and tried starting the bike while on the charger. Starter just spun. It does bump start. This is really out of the blue I've been riding this bike for 8 years now, and already multiple times this season.

Battery test 11.97
    While trying to start 11.43

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. Maxwell Partridge

Maxwell Partridge Member

Yeah dude it sounds like battery related, especially since you were able to bump start it easily. Your voltage seems alittle low, it shouldn't hit under 12v even under load for a good battery brand in good health. Like XJ550H said, connect it to a car battery and try turning it over. If it starts the bike then there you go, you found the issue, bad battery.

These starters require GOOD VOLTAGE to spin the starter fast enough to engage the one-way clutch, the sound of rocks means the clutch is slipping, yours sounds like nothing which means it's not engaging the one way clutch at all. Really sounds voltage related.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Were these tested with a multimeter, or ????

The 11.43V during crank is more than enough, but.......if the starter motor is not truly turning the engine over, then that may be a "false" reading (or, rather, not a valid observation of the battery condition).

It's hard to imagine a situation where the starter motor just spins, w/o engaging anything in the motor........that would point to something severely wrong (internally, mechanically) within the starter motor itself, or something radically wrong within the engine.......which, if you can bump start it and it runs without parts flying out of the engine, doesn't seem to be the case........

The oil you used for the last oil change (previous to the problem occurring).....what type/brand was it?

Although you don't have the "gravel in a can" sound, it still sounds like a starter clutch problem..........you can see all of the main internal engine components associated with the starter motor and clutch here:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-ca...a3e55e75/fcc43e61-b583-4952-b45d-78bc77c1fe9a

and besides the primary chain (item # 22), it's all kind of direct, gear-driven (besides the starter clutch springs and rollers....items 7 - 9, which depend on friction to operate, and why certain types of oils create problems...if the oil is too "slick", you lose the friction that the rollers applies to the hub, driving the outer cover/sprocket (item #13) which is attached to the primary chain #22, and although not shown, the primary chain is also geared onto the center of the crankshaft....thus rotating it, the pistons, etc.

6. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Used a multimeter, and have always used Castrol 4T 20/50 motorcycle oil. Every change since I got the bike with 3,450 miles. When I hit the starter button I only get a high pitched whine.

I'd upload a video but it's too big. Maybe I can put it on YouTube and share the link.

7. chacal

That is a great idea............

8. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

YouTube link

9. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry for the link to a competing XJ site, but this sounds like a stripped starter idler gear: https://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=6298

On the other hand, maybe not. This setup looks different from what's used on older XJs.

Still sounds like the starter is spinning freely. I'd say the first thing should be to remove the starter and see if its drive gear is loose on the shaft or damaged. At least it's relatively quick and easy to pull the starter. From there maybe you can see something inside the case as well that will provide more information.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  10. chacal

That's a very nice thread, but the XJ600 engines are much more like the XJ550 models.......in particular, as it relates the this topic, thee are no "doubled" gears on the idler gear shaft "pin".......the XJ650-900 engines just have the primary idler gear on it's own pin/shaft (this is the gear that engages with the gear on the end of the starter motor itself). The XJ550/600 engines have both the primary idler gear and the larger/thicker drive gear on that same pin.

Yes.

11. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

We did pull the starter. Twice. Watched it spin as I hit the starter bbutton. Tried replacing a broken looking plastic washer with an unbroken one. Starter was rebuilt last summer, or maybe the summer before, about 5000 miles ago.

12. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Only thing pulling the starter told us is that the drive gear has a bit of play in it. Should it be rock solid and not move side to side even a little bit?

13. chacal

It may have a tiny amount of slop (both axial and lateral) to it, but look at the gear teeth to see any evidence of abrasion, injury, gouges, etc.

14. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

There's no dings, gouges, teeth missing etc.. it looks pretty much just like a picture of a new one

15. chacal

Okay, that's good...........also, while it's out, ground the case and touch a hot lead (direct from battery positive) to the starter motor and make sure that:

a) the end gear spins
    b) it spins in the correct direction (which is in the same direction as your tires rotate when moving forward)

16. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

I'm going to test that again tomorrow, because I was working the controls I couldn't see the gear end of the starter. Although the old man said it was spinning, and not to sound like a smart mouth but it couldn't reverse direction without being disassembled, could it? I looked up the receipt, it was 3 years ago I rebuilt that starter. I seem to remember the copper parts (forget the name) that the brushes contact, were very thin. If those wore down too thin since then, could it possibly cause this issue? Since it's been 3 years, I figured I'd take it off and apart to clean and check it anyway ..

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

It is possible to put it together 180 degrees off, which would cause the starter to spin backward.

18. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

But I've been riding it for thousands of miles over 3 years is what I've saying....

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Oh.... missed that— it’s past my bed time... I’m not reading straight I guess

Sarah likes this.
  20. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

There's a diagram of the starter system here: https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...3-d-usa-starter-clutch_bigyau0852c-2_733b.gif

I think the most likely thing is a failed starter clutch, since the starter drive gear looks OK. But that is very much a guess. Can you see the idler gear through the hole where the starter mounts? Can you run it through one rotation by pushing its teeth with a screwdriver or something to see that it turns correctly and doesn't have missing teeth?

I would think that if the primary chain had failed the bike wouldn't run... After you had bump started it, was the alternator charging the battery?