1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WTB 81 xj650H motor or parts bike midwest

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Dustin Armstrong, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Dustin Armstrong

Dustin Armstrong New Member

Hello. I have just reregistered on the is forum but have been a member for over 10 years. My last screen name was dstrong77. I have a 1981 XJ 650h which has been hardtailed and chopped. The bike was stolen from me and was gone for over a year. I have just recovered the bike well, most of it and have come to the realization that I am going to need to probably replace the motor as most of the exhaust threads are broken out. I dunno if it was in an accident or just overtightened but I think at this point a motor swap is the easiest solution. the bike is pretty heavily customized and changing motors would probably be easiest. So I am looking to buy a replacement motor or possibly even a parts bike as there are other parts I need. I have carbs in good shape but could really use a new wiring loom. I am located in Des Moines Iowa and am willing to travel 300 miles if the price is right. Anybody have any parts bikes or motors with good compression?

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Dustin. I don't have anything sitting around, but I'm happy to keep a look out for candidates up in the Minneapolis area.

Just to be clear, we are looking for 80/81 (pre-YICS) Maxim (XJ650G or XJ650H) engine/parts bike, correct?

3. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. Dustin Armstrong

yep Correct, 80-81 non YICS maxim I was late getting back to the forum before the post was deleted. I must not have any notifications setup. The link you shared to Craigslist was deleted but I appreciate you looking

5. mark68502

mark68502 New Member

Dustin,

I have been lurking here awhile but have a parts bike with engine (no carbs) if you are still looking. However, I am in Lincoln Nebraska. Interested?
    MarkJ
    My bad. The one I have is YICS. Sorry for the false hope!

6. Dustin Armstrong

I just found bought one last night in Illinois. I grabbed a YICS running 81 XJ650. I am just gonna move the motor and electronics onto my hard tail frame. This bike is in good shape if anyone needs any parts off it. I think I am gonna use my carbs on it which I think I can do. There is not a difference between a YICS carb and Non YICS carb is there. the hardtail has K & N pods and a 4 into 1 header with no muffler so its been jetted for the increased airflow and has had the throttle shaft seals done. So hopefully my carbs and boots will plug into the YICS motor with no problem