1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 550 IS GETTING NO POWER AT ALL HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Arphaxhad, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Hey guys so my 1982 Yamaha XJ550 is not getting any power to electricals at all, and i am running out of options! First it Ran fine, i even rode on it, then we hooked up my old battery which i suspect was the problem, once hooked up, it started just fine and when we went to give it gas it had a loud nasty backfire and all Electrical Power seemed to had completely died since then i get no power to any of my electrical components at all! i figured it was a major electrical issue so i just started researching and replacing old suspect electrical parts and components, narrowing and cutting down possible faulty pieces and electrical equipment, so far i have replaced the starter solenoid, wired up a new starter button, replaced the old ignition with a new one, replaced the old ignition coils with new ones, Bought a New Compatible battery, charged and hooked it up, now my bike turns over very strong when the solenoid is jumped, but still no power to electrical components, (Tank is off right now) i have even replaced the whole Wiring Harness/Loom with a new one, the 1 thing i do not have hooked up right now are the fuses/fuse box waiting to receive it in the mail hopefully sometime this week! have not replaced the CDI Box, and really do not want too, on the account that they are expensive, but if it is my last option then i will do so!.. guys i really want my bike to run, and i don't know what to do/try anymore, i do not want to mess with anything else without guidance, and possibly screw something else up, do you guys think you can help me. this is my first time asking advice online so i will try to be as competent as possible! Thanks, and i guess now i await help.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maxim or seca?

read ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OVERVIEW: in the link below then scroll down to bottom and read
    DOUBLE BONUS ROUND!! Charging System Electrical Specifications:
    BONUS ROUND! Ignition System Electrical Specifications:

The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

have you upgraded your fuse box to blade style?
    ohm out your ignition system

do you have a service manual?
    do you want one?

this link is the worlds greatest wiring diagram it is for 550 seca but works for the maxim

http://lumien.se/stuff/xj550/XJ550ElectricalDiagram.html

3. XJ550H

4. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Thank you very much, mines is a maxim, I'm not sure but I may have another problem, that just occurred, I was doing some trouble shooting on my bike with no luck, again, and as I was getting ready to call it and get some sleep, so i got on my bike just to walk it a bit and reposition it in my garage, and as I was doing it I I Heard and saw a few sparks fly, I think it was from my fuse connectors touching against the frame, it was very brief, but do you think that might have just killed all of my connections and components, (The New Ones that I mentioned earlier) and I have to start all over again, because I am really scared that small little spark just destroyed all of my new stuff :--(

5. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'd say, don't rush to judgement. The fuse holders on these bikes are a known problem area. I replaced mine entirely with blade-style fuses. Sounds like you ordered a new one as well? I'd get that sorted out and be sure that whatever sparked, isn't going to do that again. Once power delivery is assured, start checking things out again. I was going to suggest, if you suspect certain modules are bringing the system down, unplug that module and see if you start getting lights or whatever. Use the wiring diagram to see what effects unplugging the module might have since most would be local to that sub-system, though several things can affect the ability to run the engine (due to safety interlocks).

6. XJ550H

if your key was off it would only be the main fuse sparking
    battery feeds main fuse which feeds key then back to the other 3 fuses.

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I'm betting that your new few box and fuses will solve your problem.

8. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

[thanks everyone I guess I will just wait for the Fuse box to get here, as to not cause any future problems! And in the meantime I will be reading up on the links that XJ550H posted, and download the manuals!.. (what a godsend) Oh yeah (dkavanagh) you mentioned Blade fuses! what are those?

9. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

Bad part is my key was turned to the on position

10. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

ATC fuses. Most every vehicle built after 1990 has them.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Umm....then it's a no-brainer, don'tcha think?

DrewUth likes this.
  13. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

i guess, but i had read somewhere that fuses are just for safety, in case there was a voltage surge or electrical spike in the system the fuses would take the hit instead whatever component that was going to be messed up, so i thought the fuses had no real rendering on the direct powering and operation of the motorcycle! i'm sorry if i caused you guys any trouble :/ thanks for the advice anyways though :--j btw i'm still waiting on the fuse box, i hope it did not get lost in the mail! if it doesn't come by monday do you guys think you can help me pick out the right fuses for my bike?

14. hogfiddles

That's true--sort of. but, if you don't have any fuses it's the same as having blown fuses… No current get through.

15. Arphaxhad

Arphaxhad Member

:eek: Ah!. holy crap!! you're right!...so fuses here we come lol.. thanks man! :D

16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

One more item to check is the kill switch , a little corrosion can cause problems in starting circuit. You should also check all the grounds under the tank.

17. XJ550H

550 has 20 amp main
    and three 10 amp fuses

the 20 amp feeds the three 10 amp fuses after going to the key

18. hogfiddles

Arphax,

1. I doubt you killed everything with just a quick shorting like that. It happens, we've all done it at some point. It scares you more than it scares the bikes.

2.. Don't feel like asking us any questions is an inconvenience. This is what we are here for. You won't learn one thing unless you ask. I don't mind being asked 1000 questions, as long as the person is willing to listen and heed the advice. You've come to the right place......welcome home.

3. For blade fuses---read this forum.....
    http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-install-an-aftermarket-fuse-box.6350/

19. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

See? Right there, that's it! That is why electricity baffles the poop outta me.

20 feeds three 10's.
    10 + 10 + 10 = 30
    20 - 30 = -10 (that's negative 10)
    There's a deficit of 10 amps . . . . . sure you got, Ohm's Law, Gauss's Law, Maxwell's Theory of Electromagnetic Radiation, etc. etc.

I just need to come to terms with the fact that maybe I wasn't meant to understand electricity. :(

20. XJ550H

if you fused at actual current draw you would blow the fuses all the time
    the 20 amp fuse is enough to power whole bike and has a safety factor built in for the initial current draw example the head light draws more current at start up than when running
    all the bulbs do that.

k-moe likes this.