1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale XJ 700 Maxim X

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Cate, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Cate

Cate New Member

1985 with 55k mi, needs engine work, asking 500

Attached Files:

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    A few questions.... title status, what sort of engine work is needed, condition of the rest of the bike, maintenance history?
    John

3. Cate

Cate New Member

Hi John,
    The bike has low compression and probably needs alot, thats why I'm opting not to pay someone to figure out exactly what the low compression indicates. I drove the bike to their shop beginning of Oct. 2020 so they gave me a list. A new tire, a fresh battery, front fork seals. I have the title, I always garaged it and changed the oil & filter, clutch cable stuff like that, but this bike didn't need much in the 20 years I'v had it. Drove it 55k so its more money to fix than I want to spend on such an old bike. It could be worth restoring if you like the shaft drive water cooled V Max, thats why I am posting here, I loved the bike and wish I knew how to repair it. The seat I replaced with leather all the lights work so not sure your level of interest but I was riding it last month, now not starting I assume because of compression as I was told.

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    All good info. Have you ever checked the valve clearances, or had them checked? At that many miles the valves could have very well worn into the seats and the clearances tighten up and eventually you loose the seal and compression falls and starting becomes hard. Lots of folks here on the forum will chime in that valves need to be serviced very frequently. I will not get into that, it is sort of like asking what oil you prefer. I do not have a lot of interest in your bike (sorry about that) as I have a couple of XJ750 Maxim projects in play. I was hoping the added info would help you generate a bit more interest from the other inmates. Good Luck With Your Sale though plenty of folks here are almost rabid for these bikes.
    John

Cate likes this.
  5. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Location???

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Zip code indicates in Rhode Island

7. Cate

Cate New Member

Northern Rhode Island

8. Cate

Cate New Member

9. Cate

Cate New Member

If I could inquire about how to check (valves) this myself, I'm quite adept with tools, not quite an engineer, just a tech myself-reitired. I know this bike well, love the ride but hoped to pass it on with correct info. I've had over 1000 views in a week IF it were running or I could say what it needs in order to sell or donate. I Welcome any input!

10. Cate

Cate New Member

This bike is SOLD

11. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Hogfiddles. Did u just buy another X. I’m so jelly.