1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj 750 steering head question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by weeboy1, Jun 14, 2022.

1. weeboy1

weeboy1 Member

Prolly an easy answer here, but I’m a Harley guy resurrecting a garage find 83 xj 750. Just getting ready to flush brake lines and was turning the bar and felt a defined indent at the Center position when turning the bars from left to right. Always at dead center. Is this by design or do I have an issue? I know my ultra self centers thought maybe this may be a similar feature in the maxim.
    Thanks

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

That is an indicator of worn out bearings. The replacement of the original ball bearings with a new tapered roller bearing isn’t too difficult or expensive.

k-moe likes this.
  3. weeboy1

weeboy1 Member

Thanks it had sat for 15 years unused so makes sense. I guess just another maintenance thing to add to the list…

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I just did mine. It wasn't that difficult, but I did end up needing a spanner wrench for the notched nuts, and a car bearing press/pull kit (bit bolt, big nut, and a number of different sized spacers) to get the lower race to seat properly.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

A brasss drift and a hammer works fine for the spanner nuts. The races go right into place if you freeze them first.

Timbox likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have done one of these as well. Just take your time and made sure you keep the top and bottom separate and follow the directions. A really good upgrade as well. I have a 82 I have to do yet...

Hardest part is taking all the stuff off the front of the bike for access to the steering head. If you have a magnet around, put that close to old bearing holding area when she comes apart. It will help keep the old worn bearing from falling out and running all over your work area floor.

7. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ha! I still find a ball bearing once and a while

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

I'm pretty sure that there a still a few rolling around my old garage floor.

Timbox and Dan Gardner like this.
  9. weeboy1

weeboy1 Member

Thanks for all the input. Tackling it this weekend. Lots of pics and lots of notes. Holy shite there’s a lot to take and or move. The notch in the head was very obvious once the tire and forks were off. Still have to get the race off the lower yolk but that’s for tomorrow and then put her back together.
    Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

My cousin has an 1800cc Goldwing. He will have lots to dismantle to do his head races :eek:. I got the race off the lower yolk by grinding through most of it but was careful not to damage the stem below.

11. weeboy1

weeboy1 Member

All done. Went pretty smooth. It’s is a jigsaw puzzle to put back together. Lower bearing came off relatively easy with a drift and hammer. New one went on using old race upside down . Went on fine too. Can’t imagine what this job would price out at. But for me $72 for bearings and my own free labor.
    What a difference in the steering* head now!

Huntchuks, Franz and k-moe like this.
  12. k-moe

Most shops in the U.S. charge $100/hour for labor. A small independant shop might charge less if the property and building is paid for and in their name. In any case, working on your own stuff is a huge part of motorcycling. Knowing your machine builds confidence.

Timbox and ksigurdsen like this.
  13. weeboy1

weeboy1 Member

Amen brother! Done all my own work on my Harley. Super satisfying. I little research, patience and help from good people like on here and most people could tackle it themselves. For me the savings for diy is in the thousands

k-moe likes this.