1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ1100 COnvert to LED headlamp

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cudaguy, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

I've been looking at LED headlights on Amazon and Ebay. There seem to be many 7 inch LED with projector lens available at what seems like non crazy prices ( 60-100 bucks). But they all refer to fitting Harley, some need an adapter ring, some don't mention it.

I'm looking for ideas and info...how as it gone and what worked or didn't work. My current headlight works, it just seems like it doesn't do a great job of lighting the road ahead and the high beam is a hindrance vs a help.

Here is an example of something I looked at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018LXCS0...m/images/I/51LTh2A+mJL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B018LXCS0C

Any help is appreciated

2. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

The prices of the copies of the all-in-one LED units have come down hugely in the last couple of years. The originals are still a price though.
    That said, I've had good luck with my H4 LED bulb replacements, so would risk blowing $60 or so on one of those you mention.
    My only concern, where I am, is it needs to dip to the left, and I'm unsure whether the ones coming out of China are left, right, or flat dipping.
    If they're all flat, that's fine. It will do fine on a bike, wherever in the world it is.

3. sybe

sybe Active Member

Another way to go going with an led bulb. Cyclops adventure sports makes a nice H4 LED replacement. I run the 3800 and its awesome. They recently upgraded the tech to put out more light with a better spread. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html

SpearChucker likes this.
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

With all of these LED bulbs my main concerns would be:

1) does it actually fit inside the bucket. Most of the XJ headlight buckets are rather cramped, and the stock bulb just barely fits into it. Many of the LED and HID bulbs/lights are much deeper than the stock unit, and that can create a fitment issue and/or require hacking a hole into the back of the bucket.

2) Although the LED bulbs don't get hot, the driver unit sure does (which is why their defining visual feature is that huge finned heat sink). Again, due to all the wire inside the rather cramped bucket, this source of heat may present some wiring placement challenges (i.e. how do I prevent melting all of the wiring and connectors inside the bucket).

5. sybe

sybe Active Member

I run they 3800 model (which was upgraded to the 10.0) and it works in the stock headlight bucket. There was another xjer that ran the stock headlight and it fit for them as well. I cant vouch for sure but i think it does fit a stock setup. I have a modified rats nest but with the extra connections i added its about the same wire density as stock

6. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

While most LED bulbs have the cooling fins, I have seen these on eBay and other sites. I'm trying to understand the differences and risks between LED bulb deign.
    CREE LED H4.

Anyone have any insights?

I'd love to improve the light while keeping my stock 650 Seca's oversized headlight.

7. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I put a put a BikeMaster 2200 on my Seca 750RL.
    41B8194E-DD85-4BAF-B183-F0547B45C618.jpeg
    It throws great light and doesn’t seem to have a build up of heat, that I’ve been able to detect. The one downside I’ve had is there is practically no difference between hi and lo beam, but the light pattern is exactly the same as stock and with the extra white light I’ve had no need for an additional hi beam. I initially put the power unit inside the bucket with the snakes nest of wires but I think I’ll move it this winter so just the power lead is inside and mount the power unit outside the bucket. Hope this helps.

8. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Any of the LED H4 that don't have either forced cooling or copper braid cooling are just for show. Basically, they're just parking lights, because they put out as much useful light as a candle. Btdt, gtts. The first LED H4 I bought was one of them. Cheez, what a waste of five bucks that was. Actually, it wasn't, because I can put it into an old headlamp shell and use it as a reading lamp.

kosel likes this.