1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600 engine in xj550 frame.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Stephen James Whiting, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Stephen James Whiting

Stephen James Whiting New Member

I've just fitted a xj600 motor in a 550 frame. Gonna use radian wheels, 600 forks, will put pictures up when finished, I know I need to use the CDI (black Box) off the 600, my question is will it just plug into 550 wiring loom and work, or do I have to change configuration of wires in the plugs. Any information would be most gratefully received.

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

With a paperclip you can pull the wire terminals out of the connector blocks and move the wires around if you need to.
    Study the 2 wiring harnesses, it should work.

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

which 600 motor have you got? Early (separate alternator) or later (crankshaft alternator). As well as the TCI (it's not a CDI) you will
    struggle to get BST32 carbs from the later bikes to fit with the 550 airbox. Search my threads for some guide on TCI wiring

4. a100man

5. tobar

tobar Member

im working on a xj 5/6 but havent got as far as airbox yet...

Attached Files:

6. a100man

Interesting - what wheels and swing arm is that?

Stock 550 carbs are BST28s, BST30s form the FZ600 are physically the same size BUT the BST32s used on the later XJ/FJ600s are quite a bit bigger, I think I managed
    to fit them but with stiff airbox boots form a 600 also I mangled (temporarily) my hands in the process - and it didn't run anyway..

Since you airbox is missing it might be as well to go straight to pods. They do say though that if you can use the 'velocity stack' of the stock carbs rubbers it helps

7. tobar

tobar Member

Hi a100

Front end is gs500 with a bandit6 stem iirc... rear is gsxf750 rear wheel sv650 caliper and gsx750es swingarm. ..both stem and swingarm needed engineering shop ingenuity to go in so probably easier options out there. ..
    I got 2 basket case xj600's cos I had an xj550 frame lying around and loada suzuki bits to make something with.
    I'll start a thread on both soon so as not to jump on this thread any further but thought I'd show solidarity with the 5 to the 6...lol

8. a100man

Cool. I#ve a GS500 front end lying about - and a spare XJ frame (but no V5 for it..) GSX Swingarm transplant sounds a PITA but I've heard Thundercat fits if you want to go mono.. Yeah start a thread!!

9. AndyH64

AndyH64 Member

I have a spare Radian yx600 frame with a v5 (practically the same frame as an xj550) that I'm planning building a cafe racer or a flat tracker out of, with a XJ600 pre divvy engine (£50 off eBay) with a gsx600f front end and gsx600f rear wheel.
    The swing arm is where I'm struggling, yx600 swing arms are like hen's teeth to get hold of and expensive!.
    Monoshock swing arms seem to long as I have already tried a 400 Bandit swing arm and it just doesn't lend itself very well.

a100man not to sure about a Thundercat swing arm as they quite wide at the pivot point, follow this link for some useful info regarding swing arms.

https://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=3136

tobar how much needs maching off the gsx750es swing arm to allow it fit the xj/yx frame?

I will start a build thread once I get my Radian finiished.

Cheers lads

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  10. AndyH64

AndyH64 Member

@tobar I really like the style of your xj, that's kind of the way I would like to go with my yx frame.

Attached Files:

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I run bs32s from an xj600 on my xj650, I ran them as originally jetted with pod filters and they ran fine - no flat spots I could feel.

12. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I'd try (measure first) the S/A from an FZR 600. They're plentiful and cheap. Just weld on some shock mounts.
    I fitted one to my much modified XS650 complete with linked mono-shock did that back in 2003/4
    Cheers, 50gary

13. a100man

YX600 swing arms being box-section are in demand by people like me (XJ550) and also the XS lot as they are a direct fit for a number of the 80s bikes

So you could use an standard XJ550 swing-arm if you're in a pinch. The Thundercat reference was from a special that was documented in Practical Sportbike a few years
    back. I think it had to be machined a little at the pivot point but not massively IIRC.

Cheers

14. AndyH64

AndyH64 Member

@50gary an FZR600 swing arm would be a good choice, l would need to shave 20mm or 3/4 of an inch off the pivot point, have you got any photos of the XS650 for reference please.

@a100man I have considered an XJ550 swing arm but I'm not sure if I could squeeze a 140/80/17 rear tyre in. A Thundercat swing arm would look well trick, they are about 40mm wider at the pivot point.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  15. 50gary

50gary Active Member

That's what I did, a good machine shop can do that operation. About ten MM from each boss. A horizontal boring mill would be the machine of choice.
    Below is a way of getting the head tube welded accurately by double triangulation. This is a mock up of my system just to show the principle. I've lost most of my early photos
    due to a photobucket screw up. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere?
    Cheers, 50gary

Attached Files:

16. 50gary

50gary Active Member

This is the XS650 with the FZR 600 Swingarm, Linked mono-shock, works like a treat.
    I don't know if this will help, it's all I could find.
    Cheers, 50gary

Attached Files:

Franz, chacal and Simmy like this.
  17. AndyH64

AndyH64 Member

@50gary wow your XS650 looks really good and I can the engineering that went in to, great job. If my Radian cafe racer looks half as good I'll be happy. I'm interested what bike are the forks off, I would like to use blue spot calipers on my build.
    Cheers

18. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Thanks for the kind words. The Radian is one of my favorite bikes. I used Yamaha R6 conventional (cartridge type) forks. Although even then (2004) I had a set of USD
    (Yamaha, R1) forks I chose the conventional because I felt they matched the tracker look better. There is nothing stock on that bike, it's quick and fun to ride.
    No head shake rock solid, it has a thumb brake for the rear, linked suspension, 2/1 headers my build, RD 400 tank with completely new tunnel, shortened wheelbase,
    all off the front, rear is longer with the FZR s/a, 24 degree rake, 50/50 weight dist., weight 360# semi rear-sets, TT seat modified, carbon fibre, with Suzuki SV tail light. ride height adjustable
    rear shock, (my mod) 525 chain with offset counter sprocket, The exhaust is open, no baffles, the large diameter end and kick out are Sprint car pieces ceramic coated.
    All my work, and it was my first bike build. Sorry to ramble on.
    Cheers,50gary

19. AndyH64

AndyH64 Member

@50gary that's a lot of work but it is really well finished and an absolute credit to you. Radian's are nice little bikes, not so common over here in the UK though, making getting hold some parts difficult. And I've got two!!, One will be as close to stock as possible, the other will be far from stock, a previous owner decided it would be good to chop the frame at the rear end.
    Not sure what has happened to the photos I posted!!
    Cheers

20. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Beautiful bike. Lots of work into that.