1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Clutch Replacement

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Videos' started by taptapindustries, Nov 27, 2017.

1. taptapindustries

taptapindustries Member

XJ650 Clutch Replacement. New Friction Plates and Springs.

2. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Saw this the other day on YouTube. Is it really that easy? Clutch is fine right now on my bike but it is 35 years old so I'm assuming someday it will have to be replaced.

Okiejoe likes this.
  3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Someday maybe. The hardest part of the job is scraping off the old gasket.
    Last summer my 6 year old grandson did a re&re of a clutch in an fz750. Just told him how to do it and the only thing I did was torque the bolts on the pressure plate.
    My xj650rjc has the original clutch and I have 50,000k on it and still works perfectly. As long as it hasn't been beat on it can last for another 50k with good oil and properly adjusted . I can still pull 9,000 rpm in top gear with no signs of slippage.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

- CLUTCH REBUILDING ISSUES:

The rebuild process for most clutches is pretty straightforward; although this thread is specific for the XJ550 models, the same basic steps and parts also apply to all the XJ550 - XJ1100 models:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/29541

Please note that while the above guide is specific for the XJ550 clutches, all XJ-series bikes use the same basic procedures as above, with a few minor differences in drive plate style and design.

And here’s a good introductory video on doing a basic clutch rebuild (the video at the top of this page):

Here are a couple of additional do’s-and-don’ts that we would recommend:
    - always check the metal drive plates for flatness using a feeler gauge and flat piece of glass, etc.
    - align the throw-out gear teeth towards the SW corner.
    - always use new pressure plate spring bolts!
    - perform the final torque on the spring bolts in criss-cross ("star") pattern.
    - use a proper cover gasket rather than sealant!

5. Eduardo diaz

Eduardo diaz New Member

I need HELP. I have an 82 xj750 midnight maxim.
    I replaced the clutch but can’t seem to get the case back on, I’m having problems with the throw out gear teeth. Someone please help.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Did you read the link in the post just above yours?
    If not, then click on it. The procedure is described in that link.
    If you did, and still have trouble then we can start asking some questions to find out if you have something that is out of kilter, or needs repaired.

7. Eduardo diaz

Eduardo diaz New Member

Hey went through the link, but unfortunately the pictures have been disabled. But I read that there is a “special” friction plate the 6th from the back. Does that apply to the xj750? When I put the case on, the piece where the clutch cable connects barley moves, and I peak in through the oil cap and can’t see any of the clutch disk or pressure plate moving.

Smej likes this.
  8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The 750 does not have that pressure plate.
    Photobucket sucks.
    The throwout arm really can't be moved by hand; you have to use the clutch lever, or put a wrench on the throwout arm to gain mechanical advantage. The cable should be adjusted so that there is no slack at the throwout arm.
    The thread below also had pics that are being held hostage by Photobucket, but describes the installation of the cover in more detail.
    reassembly-of-clutch-cover-82-xj750j-maxim.44555

Eduardo diaz likes this.