1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 final drive cleanup

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Xj-mrG, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Xj-mrG

Xj-mrG New Member

Hello all, This is my first post so I’m hoping this is the right area to post this.
    I recently purchased a 1982 xj650 Maxim w/ 38,xxx miles. The PO purchased the bike in 1985. It was stored in a barn from early 2000’s to 2012 when he pulled it out and went through the carbs and got it running again. Sat for a few years again starting in 2017. He recently pulled it out to sell and that’s when I showed up.
    Originally I had planned to just make the bike pretty, do some basic work and sell it. But I really enjoyed my, death defying, time in the bike when I first got it.
    Yep that’s right, I rode this thing 150miles just the way the guy gave it to me *face palm*

Front brake shot! Almost really had an accident due to that. Bled to pass inspection. With a rebuild kit for caliper/MC and SS brake line on the way.

When replacing the Rear brake shoes you get to see a lot more of the bike. And I enjoy a good project. I’m not a full on perfectionist but I like to get things thoroughly clean (not spotless, I don’t have the patience for a full resto) and properly lubed. I’m not sure if my rear shock was leaking fluid over the swing arm or the swingarm itself was leaking, but the amount of caked on black gunk was an honorable mention. At least 1.5mm thick in some areas.
    upload_2022-9-16_5-51-29.jpeg
    The photos I took don’t truly capture the mess I had to work with.
    upload_2022-9-16_5-57-7.jpeg
    I took a wire brush wheel and went to town. Not perfect but it’s clean.
    upload_2022-9-16_5-58-8.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-16_5-54-35.jpeg

With the wheel rear removed you can also really see the bottom/sides of the mufflers (4-2 in my caSe). Both had a good bit of rust on the inside/bottom. So more wire brushing (probably not great for the finish but I’ll buff and polish).
    Next thing you know. I’m on my back with sefety goggles and a respirator going to town on the rust under the rear fender.

Carb boots are of course completely wasted. So that’s the next undertaking. Valve gasket is also leaking so that will be replaced as well as new “donuts” for the screws.

Thanks for reading, any input appreciated.

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Good job with clean up. Now you need to go back in the rear hub and grease those spline the wheel slides on in the final drive. Not a huge sloppy amount but a nice coating on all the splines. It does 2 important things. It cushions the splines on each other and keeps them from beating each other up and will help you separate them to take the wheel off. Good luck with your project, have, and be safe.

cds1984 likes this.
  3. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

4. Xj-mrG

Xj-mrG New Member

I have some moly grease in there. Just not enough I guess! I will do some more research to make sure I put the right amount in. Won’t be putting the wheel rear back on for a few days anyways.