1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Handlebar Swap Help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by John Caragianis, Apr 25, 2021.

1. John Caragianis

John Caragianis New Member

Hi,

I have an 81 XJ650 Maxim and I have the curled handlebars and would like to swap to the XJ550 model’s bars because the manual says the bars are the same dimensions just that the 550 is flatter, which I would prefer. Has anyone done this swap before and have to deal with any modifications? Master cylinder swap? I’m willing to do the mods after, but would prefer not to out of laziness. I don’t mind the long cables or wires after the swap in case I want to put the original bars back on. Or has anyone done a different handlebar swap to something flatter/more normal without having to do too many modifications to the cables? I just want to get rid of the curled handlebars.

Thanks

John

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

You will need a flatter master cylinder and your cables are going to end up being very long. If you look in the XJ 4 catalog you will see the cable length listed and possibly once you could swap in that will be shorter. The 650 and 550 use the same controls so that shouldn't be an issue. 650 is a single disc so is the 550 not sure if you can use the 550 master cylinder on the 650 the plunger diameter may be different. That info listed in the XJ 4catalog

3. John Caragianis

My bad @XJ550H I didn’t mention I have the double disc brake setup from the 750 from the previous owner. Also I think I have the 750 rear suspension, but could be wrong or misheard when I purchased the bike but don’t think that matters. New to the bike and still learning everything. So with that being said with the double disc brake setup, would your original reply still apply as far as you know?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the 550 is a 1/2 bore in the mc so that wont work.
    you could find a mc from a 650 seca as those are flat mount.
    another problem is the mc and clutch perch compensate for the angle for the mirrors with the swap to a seca mc that side would be corrected just leaves the clutch side you could probally use a 550 clutch leverperch to correct that.

I will take a closer look at the clutch perch and lever on my 550 and 650 to see if it would just be a direct swap. it should be just mirror angle difference

your brake hose may be a little long in the end too

John Caragianis likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

6. John Caragianis

I believe I do have a 81 650 Maxim according to my shorty “4H7 113735” vin.