1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 won't start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Alec Smith, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Alec Smith

Alec Smith New Member

Hey guys! I'm new to the site and to the moto world. Just bought my first bike last week. An 80 XJ650 Maxim. It ran pretty well once we got it going. Takes awhile to start up. I replaced the fuel line two days ago and it started up right away. I went to crank it yesterday and nothing. I changed the spark plugs this morning, they we way old and need to be replaced. I assumed this might fix the issue, but still nothing. I'm smelling fuel so I'm assuming that the engine is getting fuel and I tried to roll start it but nothing. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you are smelling fuel then I have news for you. You go problems (fixable problems though.

On the right side of the engine yo will find the oil fill cap. Open it and have a whiff. Smell gas? If so then you have one or more float needled that are not sealing, and which are allowing fuel to enter the crankcase. DO NOT attempt to start tjhe motorcycle again until you remedy the problem.

Having said that, this is not th eonly work that you need to do. You bought an old motorcycle. Old, motorcycles are often left to sit, or not maintained properly.

Your first task is to do some reading before you can get to work.

The Information Overload Hour

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

TECH TOPIC: The Real Costs of Maintenance

Please add your motorcycle to your signature line so we alsays know which model of XJ you have.