1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 - Long distance tracker thing. Tire/fuel tank options?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by MNafasto, Jul 22, 2018.

1. MNafasto

MNafasto New Member

Dear friends
    Need some pointers.
    1985 JX700 canadian market.

Purchased my second Xj and looking in to building something resembling tracker yet practical for long trips with some hint on off road.

I live in Canada, when you want adventure you have to ride for a long time.

Need large fuel tank as mine is tiny. Plug and play if possible. Suggestions?
    Suspension that's not sporty but ruther more forgiving
    Tires 80 on Rd 20 off Rd
    Aux light

Your input is very appreciated and I will post pictures in the progress
    I think it's a good idea to build something resembling tracker out of small cruiser like xj700.

Thank you

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My first thought is to choose a different platform to start with, but that wouldn't be any fun.

For fuel you're really better off with using a Roto-Pack, or a remote fuel bladder so you can keep the weight lower on the bike. Unfortuantely Safari doesn't make a tank that fits the XJ frame, and enlarging the stock steel tank really isn't practical.

For suspension. well..... this comes back to the different platform comment.
    You're constrained by the u-joint that Yamaha chose to fit to the driveshaft. It has a very limited range of motion, so you won't be gaining any ride height, or suspension travel unless you want to adapt a different u-joint to suit.

If you're content with riding maintained forestry roads, and willing to avoid single-track/ no-track areas then you've got a bike that can be worked with.

Do two things to help you get some ideas. A google search of this site for offroad/ scrambler SECA II. If I can find the link I'll post it here. It's a very different bike than yours, but turned out really well.

The second thing is to look at the two following links.

https://advrider.com/index.php?forums/some-assembly-required.83/ where you will find many custom builds along the lines of what you want to do, and...

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/converted-to-dual-sport-post-pics.330726/ which is dedicated to converting street motorcycles to semi-capable (sometimes) dual sport machines.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Buy a KLR650 and take your time customizing the XJ.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member