1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700X MAXIM modifications with aftermarket parts to improve performance

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xxxKuTxxx, Dec 25, 2017.

1. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Hello everybody, I live in Norway and I've bought myself 1986 XJ700X Maxim. It is in bad shape, the only thing that is solid on it is it's engine. No thanks to the previous owners though, these engines are just hard to kill my guess. Forks are leaking with corrosion and pretty much everythig else needs attention, rusty tank, rotten air filter and engine oil looked like the bike was running on coal for some years. Some parts I need are found on the "Unobtanium" thread, these does not sound promising to get, most of other parts I need are heavy and therefore shipping to Norway from USA is crazy expensive (USA is the only country that XJ700X was sold in) so I am looking into "universal" parts that fit most bikes. Does anybody of you guys have good experience with aftermarket parts that fit that bike like condom and add to either performance or convenience? Suspension - rear shock absorbers, forks; headlight, generator, starter, etc., whatever fits well, makes riding more pleasant and does not make bike look like it was frankensteined from 5 different deadbeats). I have only had past 2010 models before that bike so I am very green at this area. But I've got love for the bike, it has a nice oldschool touch and sounds like a fighter jet with stock exhaust. Here are some examples to illustrate
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressiv...ash=item489e1d454b:g:1R0AAOSwrFtaBKps&vxp=mtr
    Really like the idea of a new headlight that would function well - compared to modern bikes I feel like riding with a flashlight on that Yamaha, like this one, if only it is possible to make it compatible with the bike - my father is electrician so he'd get the task of doing it heheh - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Day...7692bbf5&transAbTest=ae803_5&rmStoreLevelAB=5

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Umm... around where I live, we say "fit like a GLOVE....". But I guess if you're really looking for performance or convenience--------Lol

Easy Rider likes this.
  3. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

I have always thought that people imply love glove in that saying haha. Not as critical as to not confuse Bodyglide with Yamalube lol