1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yamaha radian, broken cam caps

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 86yamrad, Jan 4, 2020.

1. 86yamrad

86yamrad New Member

Unfortunately, I have 3 broken center cam caps on my 86 yamaha yx600. What is the standard procedure for this? Can i try to replace them from a different cyl head? Or should i just plan on replacing the whole head? Motor? It only has 15,000 miles :/

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the can and caps are machined to the cam for the head.
    you may be able to get just the caps and plastigauge them to see if they fit. a replacement head would likely be cheaper and quicker to do the job

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We have available replacements for non-bearing caps (the ones just to the right of the chain tunnel). Bearing caps (all others besides those two) will have to be salvaged from another motor as XJ550H outlined abve.

HCP22924 Aftermarket camshaft journal NON-BEARING CAM CAP. On many engines, on the right side of the cam tunnel opening there is a non-bearing camshaft cap. Unlike all of the other cam caps, which actually hold the camshaft down to the head and actually have smooth bearing surfaces…… the only purpose for these non-bearing caps is to supply a threaded hole to accept the valvecover hold-down bolt. This same cap is used on both the intake and exhaust cams, and is on the right side of the cam tunnel opening. NOTE: on the left side of the cam tunnel opening, there is a very similar-looking cap (also with a valvecover bolt acceptance hole), but that cap is an actual bearing cap. This replacement non-bearing cap, although similar, cannot be used in place of that actual bearing cap. This non-bearing cap is easily cracked and broken if its valvecover bolt is over-tightened. And unlike the original cast aluminum cap, this cap is machined from a billet of high-strength T6061 aluminum and features a much stronger profile than the original cap. Fits all of the following engines on both the intake and exhaust camshafts: XJ550, 1984-85 FJ600, 1986-88 FZ600, 1986-90 YX600 Radian, 1984-91 XJ600 Euro, all 1982-83 XJ650 Maxim (YICS) engines, all XJ700 air-cooled, all XJ750 air-cooled, and all XJ900RK, RL, N/FN, and F engines. NOTE: XJ900 engines actually use 4 of these non-bearing caps, located on both sides of the cam chain tunnel.

4. 86yamrad

86yamrad New Member

I have 2 broken on the left and then one with a bolt sheared off on the other, i just bought a head with cam, caps and all, should i cancel the order? Its $150 total :/

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

how do you mean broken? like now it's two pieces, or is the thread stripped on the top.

6. 86yamrad

86yamrad New Member

This

Attached Files:

7. 86yamrad

86yamrad New Member

Ive dropped thousands of dollars into this bike, i bought a new head and the cam caps on it were obviously from a different bike and did not fit, im ready to just jump from a bridge