Finally getting around to making the vmax running. Part exed a running Kawasaki 750 for this, with a known engine problem - my diagnosis (which was correct), was a holed piston, but it had other issues - badly score bores on the rear pair. a pair of replacement liners were fitted, tops skimmed (easy to say, but I had to make a jig to hold the upper crankase in two positions), ready for rebuilding. Sadly though my quick look over the rest of the engine missed a badly worn crankshaft. So I splashed out on a replacement engine. But crikey, these things are fragile. Whilst replacing the generator with mine (analogue Vs digital pickups) I found a short 6mm set screw in the bottom of the casing. Off with the sump then - see pic of more carnage - the loose bolt had allowed the main oil gallery to drop, the fabled orange o ring to break and pop out, as well as a return oil pipe to fall into the sump. I used solder to build up two places either side of a the adjustment o ring, which seemed to work. I couldn't find my gaskets so had to make a sump and side cover gasket. Engine now running, looks ok. I'm fitting some normal controls as well as keeping the forward controls it came with.