1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bleeding front brake FYI

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by robawf, Mar 7, 2017.

1. robawf

robawf Member

My experience bleeding the front brakes:
    This past weekend I recieved two kits to rebuild my front brake calipers that had been acting up. I have a Suzuki front end on my bike so I am running two calipers off the factory 1982 XJ550 Seca master cylinder. With this set up I have better adjustable forks along with dual disc brakes. The master cylinder is adequate for operating the calipers because they are of the single piston configuration.
    Upon completing the overhaul of the calipers and reinstalling them, bleeding of the system was next. First I bench bled the M/C, then gravity bled the brake connections in line to end up with the calipers. Then I used my power bleeder at the calipers to remove any trapped air via the calipers. I got very little feed back at the brake lever, not enough.
    My next step was to force brake fluid in reverse into the system using a syringe. This yielded more lever responce but nothing like it should be.
    I went back and forth between the two methods and still came up with the same amount of lever responce. I had rebuilt the M/C just over a year ago so that wasn't the problem. I was getting late so I decided to revisit the issue in the morning with a clear head and less influence of my favorite garage beverage.
    After dinner, I did some searching around on a Suzuki forum and found some useful information regarding my problem. The solution: zip tie the front brake lever back as far as possible and give each caliper a couple good slugs with rubber "dead blow" hammer. Then leave the lever zip tied overnight. The next day upon undoing the zip tie my front brake lever responce was all there plus some. In my case, with the dual disc, it took simple patience in letting system expell the trapped air by itself. Sometimes, even with all the cool tools and methods we have these days you can't force shit to happen.

k-moe and BigT like this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yep. Add in a vibratory sander to move air bubbles and you can even bleed the Anti-Dive front brake system.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yikes! I'd be nervous whacking on the calipers with a big hammer. With the luck I've been having lately, it'd probably bust right off!

4. robawf

robawf Member

We have similar "luck mojo" characteristics, chin up.
    I only whack my calipers with rubber mallets of the dead blow variety to be on the safe side. No BFH use, period.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Shit been going so bad for Matti n co that I am buying lottery tickets now. Luck has got to change at some point, and why not get paid when it does? Even so, I prefer kmoes vibrator technique. Makes me feel better inside.o_O

6. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Vibratory sander? That's new for me, what, just holding it against the calipers?

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i sanded a flat on my tire so now i use a paint shaker

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Start at the bottom and move the sander up the brake lines (no sandpaper of course) to shake any bubbles up the line to the MC.

Wintersdark likes this.
  9. k-moe

What Matti said. No sanding pad, run it from the bottom of the system to the top, tie the brake lever to the bar so the return port is exposed.

10. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Hah, that's brilliant. Awesome!

11. jofish3

jofish3 New Member

I have tried all that has been wrote on this subject tied the brake lever back smacked the caliper with a rubber hammer rebuilt the m/c caliper new pads spent 4 hours today bleeding have a good consist drip coming out of the bleeder valve all this done and still have no brakes not even a little prussure. Any more advice would be helpful in have the the handle zip tied back now and did the same last night and NOTHING DON'T GET IT !!!!!!!!!

Denboxzan likes this.
  12. k-moe