1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

12 volt accessory or USB specific Mod?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Eldenhiemer, Aug 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Eldenhiemer

Eldenhiemer New Member

Hello,

Was just looking at trying to add either a 12 volt output (aka cig lighter) or a USB specific plug into the electrical system of 1986 Maxim 700. I have been looking for a way to have charge ability for phone, ear buds, etc while on longer rides. Was curious if anyone has done this yet, or if there is a thread already ( I did search but did not readily find anything) about this modification. Just wanted to check the community before I start searching through wiring diagrams and etc.

Thanks as always for the great info.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Several of us have done that, in several different ways.
    There's no thread mainly because it's such a simple thing, and there are motorcycle specific kits that come with instructions if you're not adept at doing your own electrical work. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=motorcycle+aux+plug&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

If you still have the original fusebox you can update it to a blade-type HOW TO: Install an aftermarket fuse box, run one wire from the negative post of the battery to one side of the plug, and run a wire from the positive battery post to a spare fuse holder, and then on to the other side of the plug. Use no greater than a 10 amp fuse in that circuit. Some people put a switch inline (or to a keyed circuit) as well so the plug can be turned off. I wired mine up so that I can hook my battery tender to it and avoid having a second plug.

cgutz likes this.
  3. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's possible inside the headlight bucket that there's an extra ground floating around that you could use. I don't know if the 700 has an extra hotwire loading in there some of the bikes do for the fairing attachments. You could get the proper connectors from XJ 4ever and use it to plug in in between the bullet connectors for the brake wire and use that as a power source that way your wires would be short just remember the fuse your USB extension or cigarette lighter. You could also do the same thing and get one of the double ground connectors use it to plug in between existing connectors and have a ground wire. That way you're not running the wires all the way up from the battery. There is a thread with the USB port charger was added at the battery with a fuse it tucked up neatly under the grab bar that's on the back of the seat that runs up to the shocks. I think you're looking for something up by the handlebars so that you can have your phone mount near the charger