1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

19mm by 2.00mm for all valve shims?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Brokenxj650, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Brokenxj650

Brokenxj650 New Member

Sorry I'm new and I've tried googling the answer. Yes I'm sure I do not need to replace them all, but it snows where I live and I'll have time. So my simple question issss. Are the shims the same size intake and exhaust. If so can I just order 8 of these and get them swapped out? Thanks for the help!

z1enterprises valve shims 19mm by 2.00mm shims are the ones I'm looking at online

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Have you measured the current clearances and taken note of the shim size that is currently on each valve? You need to do that to determine what size shim is need if it is out of spec. To directly answer your question, no they are not all the same size.

3. Brokenxj650

Brokenxj650 New Member

So there's no factory spec I can swap them with? My only option is to measure each individual shim with a feeler gauge. Do I need the number the bottom to determine the size of the shim as well?

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Based on your user name I'll assume that you have an XJ 650

Here is how to check and adjust valve clearances on that machine
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/thre...valve-adjustment-with-pics-parts-i-ii.116006/

Using one size of shim on all the valves will cause you to have widely varying clearances. Manufacturing irregularities and wear make it necessary to fit different size shims in order to bring the clearance for each valve into specification.

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

You have to remove the shim on the bottom is a number so suppose a shim says 275 , but to get it in spec you need a 280 . You ONLY want to buy the size you need . When you read shim , PUT it back in place . DO NOT PULL ALL THE SHIMS OUT AT ONCE (yes yelling damage to the cams can happen ) Do you have the Haynes manual, there is a chart in there. Many times you can get away from swapping around shims , when you pull out shim write down number and cylinder and position , measure clearance and go to chart . When I did mine last I had to buy 3 shims local dealer sold me 3 for 9$ each , so no need to order whole set of shims.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thr shims are 29mm wide not 19