1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by bigfitz52, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A slight drag is just right. You shouldn't have to force it in or yank it out but it shouldn't fall thru either. When checking the valve clearances on my XJ's I do a "go-no-go" thing with the next bigger/smaller size to be sure.

It really helps with metric bikes to have a metric feeler gauge, not an american one with the oddball metric equivalents on it. I also have a metric tape measure and a metric caliper for the same convenience.

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Where Does one find a metric feeler gauge, Sears????

3. bigfitz52

I couldn't find one at Sears. I have one of these http://www.kd-tools.com/2274.htm I got it on-line I don't remember where (could even have been Sears' web store.)

Al2023 likes this.
  4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I have them in stock!

Al2023 likes this.
  5. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Fitz, that photo journal was perfect. You could write manuals capable of turning a sales guy into an astronaut.

I'll be checking my valves as soon as possible. I'm stuck on the sofa for a couple of weeks after surgery.

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Feeler Gauge .... I ordered one from My Snap On dude, was $9.98 goes from .05 to 1mm in .05 increments. Must be the cheapest thing I have ver ordered from him.

7. bigfitz52

Quick update: I added "valve cover prep" photos (glueing and greasing the gasket) to the original post. You may notice the valve cover underwent a transformation in the process. Cheers---Fitz

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Awesome guide Fitz! especially for those of us who haven't done this before. It really helps to see how easy it is before we jump in! AND to know what to expect!

<sticky vote>

9. bigfitz52

Thanks. You got it easy, only 4 to do and a tad more room between the top of the motor and the rest of the bike. Enjoy!

10. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

Great Job with the pics!!! What did you do to get the valve cover looking that good?? I am heading home to check my valves. I am going to try the zip tie holder.

11. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Now it says to change shims as needed. Where does one aquire these numbered shims?

12. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

And what is this "Tool" you are using in the pics? What is it doing exactly? Holing the lobe in place?

13. bill

bill Active Member

The tool holds the bucket down so you can remove the shim. Shims and the tool are available from our friend Chacal

14. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

The ever illustrious Chacal. What a guy. That'll be my next mechanical project. Sucks I'ma have to take check the clearances and then have to wait a week for the parts when I do it though

15. bill

bill Active Member

Unfortunately you have to check - pull the shims that are too tight to get the size then reinstall if you wan to ride. Order the shims then do it all over again.

Sometimes your local dealer might have them.

16. Tito

Tito Member

Just checked shims...
    I used abouta an 8 inch piece of weed wacker string with almost half inch 90 degree kink on one end(was thicker and stronger then zippy tie)
    With the the lobe fully pressing on the shim your going to check( you will see the vlave come down inside the spark plug hole)... stick the bent end of wacker string into the sparkplug hole
    Spin the wacker string angle towards the valve.
    Rotate engine CCW till you see the most clearence between the valve shim and the Cam lobe.
    Tug on your wacker string. If it comes out you missed....try again. Some shims were pretty well stuck and useing a thin screwdriver you need to put some good levering on it.

17. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Fitz, shouldn't the step below state 180 degrees and not 90 degrees?

As usual a brilliant instructional aid. We are lucky to have you on this forum.

Rotate the crank (forward, CCW) so that each cam lobe in turn is pointed "skyward" away from its bucket at a 90 degree angle and check the clearance between the heel of the cam lobe and the top of the shim.

tracey likes this.
  18. bigfitz52

I meant 90 degree angle to the (visible) surface of the shim; it would be 180 degrees from the centerline of the bucket but that might be more difficult to visualize. I was trying to explain that they shouldn't be STRAIGHT UP, as the buckets/valves are at an angle, that they should be straight up IN RELATION to the surface of the shim.

How about
    "...each cam lobe in turn is pointed "skyward" away from the surface of its shim at a 90 degree angle and check..."

I'll go back and change it if you think it will be more concise that way, I'm always open to suggestions.

Technical writing is an art, I'm just an IT guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn...

19. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Now I understand what you're saying. When I visualiaze it I think of the cam lobe pointing exactly opposite of the bucket, or 180 degrees away. Or in line with the valve stem, pointing away from the bucket.

Here's the bottom line. I seem to be the only person having difficulty understanding what you were saying so I don't think I'd change a single word. Again, thanks for a great write up.

I am so looking forward to working on this bike. I kind of ran into a snag this evening when I mentioned to the mama that I would be going to Harbor Feight to pick up one of those motorcycle lifts. We're buying another house and she seems to think I should hold onto the money for an emergency. She just doesn't get it! Too old, too fat, too grouchy to lay on the garage floor to work on a bike.

Maybe I'll let her see me suffer a bit!!!

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hmmmmm......that explains a lot! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.