1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clean Your Own Carb's - The Whole 9 Yards - by: Rick Massey

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by RickCoMatic, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Clarification of the whole process is what I was going for.

Thanks.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Re: Clean Your Own Carb's - The Whole 9 Yards - by: Rick Mas

Rick, I was hoping to get a response out of you more than that!!

I asked because I've always thought that the order which I listed it above is correct....but then on this page:

http://www.drpiston.com/hitachicarbs.html

(which, btw, is listed in this forum's Links section), the author says different:

Obviously the article above is about Hitachi carbs used on Virago models, but I assume they're the same or similar to the HSC32 Hitachi carbs used on the XJ models. And I've never seen anything but a "version 2" style of pilot needle....no groove for an o-ring.

It's always seemed to me that the proper order of assembly would have the o-ring in the bottom of the bore, then the washer, then the spring....this makes more intuitive sense.

Your thoughts?

3. Nick

Nick Member

Hey chacal reading your last posts, I think they are both saying the same thing.

Your first post is stating the order of the parts as being dropped into the carb body.

The quote from "drpiston" is saying to put the spring ON THE SCREW followed by the other parts, then this would be put into the carb body.

4. RickCoMatic

The O-ring is placed in the bore; first.

The Washer is placed ABOVE the O-ring. The Washer seats the O-ring under pressure of an install tool.

The Spring goes-in after the Washer. The Washer, beneath the Spring, gives the Spring a smooth, firm surface to move upon when the Screw is adjusted; rather than binding and possibly moving or pinching the O-ring.

The SPRING is placed in the bore ... following the O-ring and Washer.
    Check the alignment of the washer and O-ring with a round toothpick.
    A good reason to grab a few of the celopane-wrapped one's, next time you leave the Diner.

If you "Stack" everything ... and try to shove it all down into the little bore; the moment that the O-ring and Washer get loose, a little ahead of everything ... until, the Spring starts to be compressed ... puts you in position for wrecking the Tip of the Pilot Jet.

The possibility of the O-ring and Washer not having been seated, first, might cause them to jam-up and damage the Tip of the Screw when the Screw is being turned-in and down.

5. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

I'm just getting started on an '82 XJ650 that by all rights should be dead and buried. Anyway, I'll go ahead and ask my stupid question. Are you doing all 4 carbs at the same time? Manual I read said to do one at a time, but I'm assuming that's what the muffin pan is for (all at one time to keep up with everything?).

6. RickCoMatic

If you are doing the set for the first time ... One at a time isn't a bad way to go. You'll build confidence as you go from one to the next.

If you've got the room and skill ... do the rack. What you do ... you do "Times-4" and clean them all at once.

7. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Thanks Rick

8. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Rick, any advice to me on my first attempt. Should I do all the bottoms one at a time and then do the tops one at a time? Or should I do a bottom and then a top and repeat on down the line? Also, right to left first or left to right or it doesn't matter? Thanks for your insight (and instructions).

I picked up a set of $30 carb screws from Tim on this forum (thanks Tim); but I hate to have to buy a carb rebuild kit too. My goal on this deal was to buy this bike for $350 and get it running. I hope by just cleaning these carbs I can at least get it to run. I finally got the rack off last night after cursing the air filter boots for quite some time. I finally had to get a hair dryer to soften up the rubber boots so I could get the boots out.

My budget for my project is $500 and I will have close to that when I get a battery. The bike is pretty rough so I've pretty much stripped her down to her underwear. Lots of cosmetic work to do. But I enjoy tinkering so that's why I got it. I probably won't keep this one, but I've grown fond of it and will probably get another nicer example after I'm done with this one.

I have a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic that I ride most of the time. But there's nothing wrong with it! So I got this one to have something to work on. Bought a manual and I'm having fun. Thanks for your knowledge you've shared here.

9. RickCoMatic

Since most of the real "Tough" cleaning is going to happen on the LOWER ends of the Carbs ... go ahead and do all four of the Float Bowl Ends, first.

Just be sure to keep the parts of each one separate from the other. Don't rush. A real clean set of carbs is a joy to get back on the bike and tune-up nice.

10. Fraps

Fraps Member

What do some of you use for cleaning carbs? Aside from actual disassembly of the carbs - screwdrivers, drill bits etc that has been covered all above, what do you use to clean them.

A big can of carb cleaner is a given.
    Scotch brite pads? Diamond files? Old toothbrush? Hones?

I'm sure lots of you who have cleaned carbs have some dos and don'ts to share when it comes to cleaning agents and comsumables.

11. RickCoMatic

I heard a little birdy say, that he knew a guy, who had sticky fingers, the day he went-in to see the Dental Hygienist.

The nice, stainless steel, cleaning and scraping instruments, on the tray, disappeared when he went back to get his sunglasses.

Dremel wire wheel, steel wool, Exacto blades and Point ... If she ain't home ... I heard some guy uses the Pot Scrubbing setting on the dishwasher.

"Not me, though ... I wouldn't ever, honest honey, no ... I didn't, that's crazy!"

12. Fraps

Fraps Member

Dental picks then. Usually available at your local surplus store. I worked as a Tool and Die apprentice many years ago - a lot of the guys I worked with would just ask their dentist for the old picks instead of having them throw them out. Apparently, many were happy to oblige.

13. Alive

Alive Active Member

Hey Rick,

Why is is so important to put the same parts back in the carb they came out of?

I have to swap some bits around, what are the do's and don'ts for swapping parts in carbs?

Cheers

14. Fraps

Fraps Member

When you say "wire wheel" do you mean the little brass wire brushes you can get for a dremel? What do you use that for? Same question for the exacto knife blades?

15. RickCoMatic

I've had emulsion tubes to clean ... worse than the one that was in that picture, the other day.

Chucked a wire wheel in the drill and put the drill in the vice and went to town on that puppy.

When you have to deal with gross neglect ... you need everything short of a Nuclear weapon.

16. losifer

losifer Member

I'm a couple months late, but:

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com -- I managed to find replacement pilot mixture screws (I've got a stuck and stripped one). Not everything is listed on the website, but they are friendly and respond to emails.

17. Alive

Alive Active Member

You still looking for photo's Rick?

I now have a bit of a collection of both Hitachi and Mukuni pics.

18. RickCoMatic

Yes ... we still need pictures. But, I haven't learned how to manage them on this new computer ... yet.

But, I'm glad you do have shots that will match text. That we do need.

19. Alive

Alive Active Member

I've already posted some Mukuni shots. I'll upload a few Hitachi ones tonight. :)

20. Alive

Alive Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.