1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lifting Xj650 with exhaust pipes on?

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by WesternMeadows, Jul 7, 2018.

1. WesternMeadows

WesternMeadows New Member

The exhaust pipes hang lower than the xj650's frame and engine. I was wondering if anyone could share some tips or pictures on how they lift the bike without touching the exhaust pipes.

2. firebane

firebane Active Member

I just put a piece of a 2x4 underneath it and then lift. Spreading the load is what helps.

WesternMeadows likes this.
  3. WesternMeadows

WesternMeadows New Member

Thanks, I was thinking using some wood on the lift would be a good way to avoid putting to much weight on the pipes. I'm still kind of pondering how stable its will be on the lift if I have the 2x4 in the middle on the engine and frame.

4. Adam Jeschke

Adam Jeschke New Member

Without a centerstand, thanks to a 4-1 exhaust that runs under the oil pan (gracias, previous owner), I jack the bike up from the center stand tabs with a 3-ton rolling Jack and a 2x4 across the mounting tabs. As I get the 2x4 high enough, I put jack stands under each end of the 2x4, lower the bike and pull the jack. It's ALMOST as stable as a center stand.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I don't.
    Instead I put about 50 pounds of weight on the back seat. That's enough to make it easy to raise the front with one hand while I slip jack stands under the case guards.
    If you don't have case guards fitted then you can use a bottle jack and a 2/4 or similar to spread the weight across the oil pan (which will be less weight supported by the jack due to the counterweight on the seat).

Whatever you do, use a strap between the center stand and the front of the frame to keep the centerstand from collapsing accidentally shoud the bike get bumped from the front.

kosel likes this.
  6. Bobby Boogie

Bobby Boogie New Member

I have no choice when I remove the tires I have to remove the header. I cant get the bike lift under it even if I wanted to use wood spacers. But I dont do it too often and it is also a good oppurtinity to clean the header and the engine area. I also use rachet straps to stabilize everything and keep it safe.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Your avatar looks like you have a 4-1 setup. That would definitely require header removal. The price we pay for better noises ;)

8. Bobby Boogie

Bobby Boogie New Member

Yes I put the header on almost immediately after driving home from the dealership. The bike was almost too quiet and the header does produce a nice sound at higher revs. I have a hard time just purring thru the first two gears I almost can't shift until 5 k Rpms maybe that just me, I find it really hard to drive without reving it up.