1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil Filter Assembly Install Detail

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Dan Gardner, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

A common source of confusion for new XJ owners is how to put the oil filter assembly back together. This is often made worse by the fact that many times there are missing parts - especially the washer.

Of course all of this goes away if you choose to install a spin-on filter conversion kit. For more about the spin-on conversion kit, see here: http://www.xj4ever.com/spinon kit v2.1.pdf

The washers have a tendency to stick to the filter when being disassembled, so then they have often ended up in the trash with a dirty filter some time in the past. There is a good chance that you will need one of these washers when you acquire an XJ.

I would advise that when you get a new XJ and you are preparing to do the first oil change, it will save a lot of frustration if you just have a new filter, new o-rings, and new washer from xj4ever.com on hand. Part numbers below.

Here is the parts diagram from Yamaha:
    filter.png

It's a useful diagram, but let's take a more detailed look. Here are the parts laid out in order:
    all parts.jpg

Note that the rubber grommets that are labeled #3 on the parts diagram will come with a new filter.

First step is to insert the bolt with relief valve through the outer oil filter cover, noting that the o-ring that goes around the bolt forms the seal with the outer cover:
    1 Bolt installed.jpg

Next goes the spring:
    2 Spring installed.jpg

Then the washer:
    3 spring installed.jpg

Then the filter goes on, with the indented part of the filter facing the spring, so that the flat side of the filter then ends up facing the engine:
    4 Filter installed.jpg

So the purpose of the spring is to hold the filter tight against the engine. The purpose of the washer is to provide a nice flat surface to push against the filter instead of the spring contacting the rubber grommet directly.

Finally, the o-ring (after applying a light coat of fresh oil) goes in the groove on cover:
    5 O-ring installed.jpg

The oil filter assembly is now ready to be re-installed on the engine.

Some aftermarket oil filters come with new small and large o-rings. There have been reports that these o-rings that come with filters are trash and do not fit correctly. Use with caution.

If you do need to replace the o-rings, here are the part numbers:
    Large o-ring (#6 in diagram): Yamaha P/N: 93210-87723 xj4ever.com P/N: HCP1488 or HCP2283
    Small o-ring: Yamaha P/N: 93210-16629 xj4ever.com P/N: HCP1496 or HCP2279

If the spring is missing, that's bad, here's how to find a replacement:
    Spring (#8 in diagram): Yamaha P/N: 90501-20422 xj4ever.com P/N: HCP1494

The most common missing piece is the washer that goes between the spring and the filter. You can probably get away without it temporarily, but you should replace it:
    Washer (#7 in diagram): Yamaha P/N: 90201-21608 xj4ever.com P/N: HCP1493

That particular washer was used on a good number of models, so if you are in a pinch there is a decent chance that your friendly neighborhood Yamaha dealer may have one. As always, xj4ever.com is the safest choice.

If you are really in a pinch and need a temporary fix and want to look at a hardware store, here are the dimensions of the washer:
    washer_inside.jpg washer_outside.jpg

Again, I would recommend just assuming that you will need new o-rings and washer, and have them on hand along with a new filter when you do the first oil change. Just go ahead and get the parts from xj4ever.com, then you know you will have the right parts and will not end up driving around to a hardware store or a dealer in a panic. If you really want to be safe, have one of the springs on hand too - if this XJ isn't missing it, your next one probably will.

And while you're at it, don't forget to change the rear gear oil (shaft drive bikes)!

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Very nice post. I have had my bike since new, do all my own oil changes, and every year I had to consult the diagram for the proper order. You are correct about the washer sticking to the old filter. Just about lost mine several times.

If you like acronyms for memory: BSWF is the order to rebuild the housing - bolt, spring, washer, filter. At the rist of being sexist, and memory mnemonic ...BS WiFe....

Be advised if someone is looking at the hardware store for a replacement, the washer is really thin compared to most washers. That may or may not matter.

Also, I buy Wix brand filters, and they come with new o rings for both the cover and the filter bolt!

3. Dan Gardner

Just drained the oil in the XJ650RJ I recently acquired. Of course the washer was missing. Could have been a lot worse I suppose - at least the spring was there and the filter was installed correctly.

4. Dan Gardner

I ordered a WIX 24934 filter that came with two o-rings. I used them on my XJ750RK and they worked just fine. So I'm comfortable saying that the o-rings that ship with the WIX 24934 are just fine.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  5. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Dan, thanks a bunch for the complete detail in this post. I really appreciate the J4EVER part numbers. Cheers

I am the original owner of a 1982 maxim XJ650J. Currently has 135022 miles on it.

6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Has the engine ever had any work done, eg cam chain etc?

7. BABAKU

BABAKU New Member

Hi Franz

I have replaced front & rear brakes shoes, calipers, cables, done some re-wiring, changed the fork seals that's about it other than the routine maintenance.

Franz likes this.
  8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

@BABAKU brilliant they are great machines. 135022 miles, and l bet it starts first time.