1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Removing the Atari ?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Rebecca Proppe, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rebecca Proppe

Rebecca Proppe New Member

Hi dudes! I bought a 1982 XJ Maxim back in the fall, enjoyed riding it so much, and I've been doing some aesthetic work on it before riding season starts again here in Canada.
    I've been lurking in the forums and have read a lot about removing the Atari from the bike. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was such a crucial component until after I cut a bunch of wires. I've don't minor electrical work on my old bike but it is definitely NOT my strong suit!
    There are some great threads on here I've read noting how to Hook up the lights without the Atari by jumping the connections, but also noting that there are multiple safety checks that go through the little computer as well.
    So some questions:

-is there a way to keep the neutral switch while eliminating the Atari, or does this switch need to be bypassed like the sidestand switch in order for the bike to turn on?

-does the Atari actually do anything asides from visually display findings? In other words is there a super important computer component in there similar to the t.c.i.?

-is there a reason the horn shouldn't work if I remove the Atari? It seems to me the wire going to the horn is connected to power and ground but the horn doesn't work.

I DID accidentally open up the ignition (lol) and had to put it back together and I'm worried I did it wrong, since so many connections are apart right now I can't tell if that's the issue or I just messed up with the ignition.

Sorry for the info overload but literally ANY info anyone has with their experience on this project would be super appreciated!

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Rebecca,
    Probably not recommended to cut without a plan, but I know there are a lot of good people here with experience on that bike, who can help. Is it a 750?

3. Rebecca Proppe

Agreed I DEFINIFELY shot myself in the foot by cutting first and measuring 0 times. It is indeed a 750 J I believe ! Although some of the wire's colours don't match up to any diagrams I can find so I either am looking at diagrams for the wrong models or there was some other work done at some point on this thing.

4. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I have aftermarket cluster on my bike and CHOSE not to have side stand switch because I wanted to have as little wiring showing as possible but everything still functions as factory, including indicator lamps on the cluster and horn. I am not sure how everyone does it but after eating two days trying to modify stock harness I got rid of it and made new harness from scratch which ended up bearing a lot easier.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Timbox likes this.
  6. Rebecca Proppe

Interesting! Tbh this sounds like the way to go to me. Trying to modify the wiring is proving incredibly frustrating. I've also seen suggestions to just replace the whole wiring harness with a 1983 one that already doesn't have the Atari but that seems like an expensive option.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

and requires you to change the oil level switch from an 83 maxim (also used on other styles bikes with out ataris)

min wiring drawings
    notice green drawing has kill switch white paper does not

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am making a little cheat sheet for the wiring harness from the Seca to the Atari. I believe there will plenty of left over wires that will not be used when you change over to a new gauge. All the parking light power wires will be left over and depending on how you will run the new RPM indicator that will be left out as well. The fuel wire can be used but some gauges will need a resister added in line to help with the position on the new gauge. This is all depending on what after market gauge you are going to use. Adding jumpers for each turn light might be needed or spliced into the wires that have the female ends that used to be in the headlight bucket, orange and green.

9. Rebecca Proppe

Thanks you guys this is all really good info! I was tempted to leave the atari and tuck it in under the bike somewhere but once i opened it up i thought i would just get ambitious. I'm realizing this is beyond my skill level though and will probably do as you've suggested and just relocate the box. Currently there's power going to some wires but still things aren't hooking up quite right so I think i'm better off just putting the box back on and reconnecting things as they were!

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Did you happen to look at the link above? It is a great link that has a working bypass for the lights and turn signals to work. UTUREK is the user to be credited for this file. This does work as I have used this to remove my old stock gauge.

Attached Files:

11. Rebecca Proppe

Yes! I saw that thread and was using it to help me but still lights won't turn on, horn doesn't work, etc... I have a feeling that when I was disconnecting wires way too carelessly I disconnected something major and am still trying to figure it out. These resources are great tho, thank you guys!

12. Rebecca Proppe

I also changed the triple tree and handlebars so it's possible I disconnected or pinched something in that process too I think. Some detectiving needs to happen before I can reconnect everything.

13. jjcurtiscb

jjcurtiscb Member

Not sure if the 750 is the same as the 650 (pretty sure they are close, if not exact), but I made this diagram to help me when I was rewiring my maxim. A lot of what you keep and what you get rid of will depend on what replacement cluster you get. There are only one or 2 circuit checks (if i recall) that will actually prevent the bike from running. One is the ignition circuit and another is the kickstand. You can bypass the kickstand to make it think it's always up, however.

Unless you bypass the headlight relay, it will NOT turn on unless the bike is running, or at least started for a few seconds. The biggest thing is to NOT cut out the diodes. Those are the things that will create huge problems for you later on.

The biggest issue I had was that someone had started replacing lights before I got the bike and did the blinkers all wrong. If you have a general understanding of house circuits work (believe me, I am not expert), you can usually figure it out.

Attached Files: