1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kenny&beth, Sep 9, 2019.

1. kenny&beth

kenny&beth New Member

Hi I've been rebuilding a second maxim x for awhile now. It's a work in progress. Lol . I have had it running a few different times and I had carb issues that took me awhile to solve. Anyway now when I go to start it the starter will turn the engine and then sounds like a gear is slipping or the starter isn't engaging all the way. My question is do you have to remove the right oil crank case cover and change the starter gear that is supposed to be engaging to start the bike or is there something else that could be causing it to grind and not turn over. Also is there any video of how to do this. I appreciate your help

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The first suspect is the oil. Make sure that you are not using a friction-modified oil.

Choosing Oil for a Wet Clutch Motorcycle
    Remove the current oil (if it does not meet JASO M, MA, or MB specs), remove the starter and spray carb cleaner forward into the starter clutch to rinse out any remaining oil, and then put the correct oil in.

The second suspect is the starter motor, battery, and all the connections inbetween. The starter HAS to spin fast enough for the starter clutch to engage without slipping.
    Load test the battery (even if it's new), clean all the connections on the wires to the starter, and if the starter has not been rebrushed do so.

Replacing your starter motor brushes w/ pics

The final suspect is (unfortunately) the starter clutch itself. Repair can only be done by splitting the engine cases, so leave that for last.

3. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Humm do you mean synthetic oil when you say friction modified

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nope. Friction modified oils come in all flavors and weights.

Both ordinary and synthec oils can be made to be friction modified (for added fuel economy), or not. The key for any wet-clutch bike is to get an oil that meets the JASO specs that I mentioned eariler (more detail and links in the thread I linked earler (link in my signature too).

Tim morris likes this.
  5. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Thank you for expanding on that

k-moe likes this.
  6. kenny&beth

kenny&beth New Member

Thanks for the info and I have recently flushed the old oil out with some new oil and the starter works when it cold so so but soon as it warms up it is really awful. It will catch once in awhile but slips more than it grabs. I'm hoping that it's the starter. Would the starter clutch act differently from a cold engine to a warm engine? Thanks for your time and help